Sunday, January 6, 2013

Rustic Italian Food At Piadina

2012-12-28-3669
food at Piadina

Piadina is an Italian flatbread traditionally prepared using a terracota dish and usually sold in the region of Ravenna and Rimini. But no need to travel all the way to Italy to enjoy this Italian treat since one could have it within reach on any of the Piadina Italian Passion Food branches in the metro.

2012-12-28-3668
inside Piadina

2012-12-28-3673
open kitchen

2012-12-28-3666
table setting

The chance to finally try the piadina in Piadina happened on the day I decided to unwind a little after a hectic day at work by watching one of the entries at the ongoing Metro Manila Filmfest.  And I passed by Piadina on my way to Movieworld in Galleria and decided to eat there first before commencing to check the movie schedules. Most people I know love Italian food. Who could resist the enticement that a freshly baked, oven fresh pizza brings? Or pasta dishes that are cooked perfectly al dente? I know I can't, and would fall on it as often as my tummy would permit. But what really attracted me to this resto was the piadinas. Though I must admit I almost ran out when I was succinctly advised by my server that all of their desserts was not available that time when I asked to include the panna cotta from my orders. 

2012-12-28-3670
Piadina Padana

Among the five Piadina Classico sets that they have, I chose the Piadina Padana because anything that have 'spicy' appended on the menu automatically draws my attention. The spicy item would be the Italian sausage that the piadina securely covers from its fold. Although the spiciness was more like just a hint and I have to put some of the chili oil unto the rather scant filling (save for the lettuce) to amplify the heat. Nevertheless, I was quite satisfied with it. The gorgonzola cheese, the garlic mushrooms, and of course, the sausages displayed a merry-go-round of flavors once bitten to. All Piadina Classico sets comes with Zuppa Di Giorno (Soup Of The Day) in which case mine was a satisfyingly creamy celery soup.

2012-12-28-3671
pasta arrabbiata

2012-12-28-3672
pizza margherita

Also not to miss are their pastas. The Pasta Arrabbiata that I ordered was quite impressive. The noodles were not drowned with the sauce but rather each was coated evenly. Although the spiciness of this dish was only just a mere whisper. The chili oil came to the rescue and I appropriate some of it to the pasta until it reaches the level of heat that I desired.

Another item not to be remiss would be their pizza. I would usually go for thick crust pizza but I was quite happy with their Pizza Margherita. Simple and quite rustic looking with the pizza dough's uneven spherical shape, the texture was quite chewy rather than cracker light that I usually associate with thin crust pizza. Bite on it, chew and feel bliss wash all over you.


2012-12-28-3667
banana and chocolate smoothie

The absence of desserts in Piadina was somehow rectified with the presence of their smoothies. The Banana & Chocolate Smoothie was thick and very chocolaty. The banana flavor rides through each sip. This smoothie so much satisfied my sweet craving that it totally eradicated my initial plan to get my dessert fix elsewhere.

I was quite saddened when I recently passed by that strip in Galleria where Piadina was located. You read it right. Piadina in Robinsons Galleria was now closed. Not sure if it's due to the stiff competition with the other restos along that strip. I was even planning to go back there later this week for the desserts and the Italian empanada called the Panzerotti. Might possibly check out the next nearest branch in case the pangs of craving for their piadina kick in.

PIADINA ITALIAN PASSION FOOD










No comments:

Post a Comment