Sunday, October 23, 2011

Olé! At Tia Maria's Cantina

Tia Maria's Cantina Mexican food

The pangs of loneliness and despair. We all encounter that in one way or another. I am a self-confessed worry ward when it comes to what my future hold. Pessimistic was too harsh of a term. I just worried a lot. Most possibly its just my age doing its reality check on me. Or possibly I'm just too stressed out at work. 



Ricoa's Curly Tops & Pancit Canton

I came home from work one day, still feeling the conundrum from the office on my shoulders. Good thing my Nanay spared me some of those Ricoa's Curly Tops milk chocolate, a childhood favorite of mine (and still is today). I partnered it with Lucky Me's Sweet & Spicy Pancit Canton (because I have this unusual habit of mixing salty and sweet on my tongue). However, it only did little help to assuage me. 

Hotdog spaghetti

Later that day, my Tita prepared a hotdog spaghetti, another comfort food of mine. I sprinkled it with lots of cheese and, as an afterthought, put dollops of Cheez Whiz spread all over. It made the spaghetti cheesiness flavor almost painfully good. Although, it lacks the spiciness I'm looking for which is my Tita's usual trademark for a hotdog spaghetti. A combination of sweet and spicy. But somehow, I want something more. I want to go out and stroll.

Cantina's kitchen

My feet led me to Katipunan Avenue, it has a plethora of food places on both sides that remind me much of Tomas Morato, however Katipunan was more spaced out. And a longer stretch than Tomas Morato Avenue. (I should know, I walked both avenues on foot!) As I walked, I'm already making mental note of possible food places to visit here in the next coming days. I immediately felt my mind starting to ease.

My main order of business, though, was to visit Tia Maria's Cantina Mexican Bar & Grill. I've been craving for the longest time of good Tex-Mex food that was easy on the budget. The first thing that you would notice when you enter Cantina would be the young adults dining (or should I say chugging down bottles and bottles of beers) on the large al fresco area and the whiff of the cigarettes their smoking that one would consider if this is really a Tex-Mex restaurant or a watering hole. And the music that blasted from the speakers (blasted loud enough to make your eardrums reverberate) were contemporary music that was quite disorienting. Maybe because I'm half expecting Mexican songs like La Bamba or something.

Al fresco area
Cantina's interior


Not that I'm saying I find the place unpleasant. On the contrary, I do like the the strong energy that I felt emanating from the young crowds gathered here tonight. Even the loud music was something that made me forgot what seemed to be causing my stress these days. Its just not what I'm expecting from a Tex-Mex resto. Besides, my main concern why I came here was the food. I decided to dine al fresco but away from the crowd. I find the lighting inside the resto too subdued to take good pictures of my food.

Anyway, here are my orders...

Mango Shake (P120.00)


Mango Shake

Its taste like...well the mango shake that you might buy in Fruitas. Grande size! Its refreshing nevertheless.


Margarita Premium (P220.00)

Margarita Premium

I don't think my Tex-Mex food trip experience will not be complete if I don't order their premium cocktails so I ordered the Margarita Premium. The salt that covered the glass rim was what you would taste first, followed by the jolt of the margarita. This signaled my happy hour moment.

Crispy Taco Chorizo (P140.00)



Crispy Taco Chorizo

I always love tacos. The chorizo has a smoky taste to it that I like. My only complaint was that the included tomato salsa has nary any spice at all.


Enchilada Carne Asada (P165.00)


Enchilada Carne Asada

I like the Enchilada. It has a spicy bite to it. And the included rice was bursting with flavor.


Stuffed Pollo Quesadillas (P230.00)


Stuffed Pollo Quesadillas

My favorite among the dishes I ordered. The pollo (chicken) was grilled perfectly and the spicy undertone highly compliments the flavor. The yogurt-like dip was the best partner with this quesadillas.


Banana Con Rhum (P55.00)


Banana Con Rhum


For my sweet craving, I ordered the Banana Con Rhum. I love the sweet syrup the bananas were submerged in. I finished this serving in no time.

Whipping Mexican food


Food has always been a stress reliever for me, in some way. Unhealthy, I know. But I'm trying to incorporate activity and exercise (in my own little way) to balance it out. As far as Tia Maria's Cantina, the food was great. Not over the top but great, nevertheless. Still undecided though if this can be branded as a full-pledged Tex-Mex resto or a watering hole. Go visit and make your own choice. =)



Katipunan Ave., cor Alvero Street (in front of Ateneo)
Quezon City

426-2350

No comments:

Post a Comment