Monday, October 31, 2011

Ingenious Filipino Cuisine At Cafe de Bonifacio

embutido and pasta

I seldom went to Filipino restaurants, either I'm so used to it because my Tita Ling does cook quite good Filipino dishes that going to a Filipino restaurant does not appeal to me that much. Or restaurant that offers international cuisine has more magnetic pull on me that I often overlook Filipino restaurants.

However, ever since I tried Abe, a Filipino restaurant that offers quite exceptional Filipino dishes, I vowed to make it a point to visit Filipino restaurants as often as I can (I already have a list in my mind of which Filipino food places to visit in the coming days).

cafe de bonifacio's interior


One thing I noticed though, price point of dishes in Filipino restaurants were quite on the expensive side. Until I chanced upon this new restaurant, Cafe de Bonifacio, on the 5th level of The Podium on Ortigas Avenue

They do have a wide array of items on the menu with value for money in mind. I was supposed to try out Subway since I'm craving for a good sized sandwich. However, when my gaze fell upon this newly constructed restaurant, I couldn't leave my eyes off it.

I haven't heard anything about Cafe de Bonifacio prior to dining here. So far as I've checked, only Delight My Appetite is the only food blog that has a review of this resto. A quick look of their menu displayed by their entrance and my adventurous side took over.

Here's my order...

Mango & Basil Cooler (P95.00)

mango & basil cooler

I was took over by the picture on the menu of this cooler that when it arrived to my table, I realized what an odd combination mango and basil was for a drink. But it actually worked. Its a very refreshing drink with only a slight hint of sourness from the unripe mango. I just loved it.

Five Spice Embutido (P165.00)



five spice embutido

Described as spiced meat rolls wrapped in bead curd skin and cooked until golden brown. This, by far, the best embutido I've tried. A very flavorful dish and the chili sauce made a nice counterpoint. I also like the included vegetable salsa of turnip and cucumber.

Vigan Longganisa Linguini Pasta (P240.00)

vigan longganisa linguini pasta

One of the best aglio olio (oil-based) pasta I've tried. Pasta was cooked al dente. And I appreciate that they didn't scrimp with the Vigan longganisa. The included vegatables of string beans, black olives and cherry tomatoes made the dish colorful and offered a nice dimension in terms of texture and taste.

Strawberry & Cream Cheese Roti w/ Ice Cream (175.00)

strawberry & cream cheese roti


The only flash in the pan on this almost perfect experience in this restaurant was when my dessert was served. Not really because of the dessert. More on the way it was served. When I ordered this roti dessert, it was supposed to come with a scoop of ice cream. I had to inform the server what was lacking to my dessert order. Hence, the scoop of ice cream was presented in a separate receptacle or glass.

But all things were forgiven after I took a forkful of this roti dessert. The strawberry and cream cheese filling threatened to ooze out when I took it apart with my fork. Lashed with caramel syrup, I was delighted when I discovered there were slivers of almonds as well in the filling to add some crunch. And in between forkfuls of the roti, I alternate it with scoop of their own ice cream concoction (which I think was the langka/vanilla variety), made this dessert sinfully good. 


The only question in my mind as I ate this dessert was that why majority of the desserts on the menu were served with roti since this flat bread is of Indian descent rather than Pinoy.


When I went here, they're still in soft opening so only cash payment is accepted. So, in case you're planning to try out their wonderful Filipino dishes with a twist, be sure to have cash available, for now. As for me, I won't bat an eyelash recommending this to people who might ask me for a good Filipino food at an affordable price point.


Level 5, The Podium
Ortigas, Pasig City

Cafe de Bonifacio's Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment