Monday, August 6, 2012

A Cozy Cafe In The Most Unexpected Place

food at 14 Four Cafe

This was totally an unplanned visit to 14 Four Cafe. I originally intended to visit Chuck's Deli and Gigi Coffee & Cupcakes in Eastwood City. But when I saw that Gigi Coffee & Cupcakes is closed on Sunday, my spirit dampened and the prospect of trying out Chuck's Deli or any other restaurant in the Eastwood area seemed not appealing anymore. Then I remembered this charming cafe that offers breakfast and brunch meals in Taytay that my friend Jolee recommended to me a little over two months ago. What is particularly interesting in this cafe is that it only opens during the weekends. So I made a 360 degree turn and traveled straight to Taytay.


kitschy interior

dining area

Torrential rains notwithstanding and armed only with directions provided by the moderator of 14 Four Cafe official Facebook page, I was able to find the cafe's exact location. The cafe's sculptural gate with shades of black and red is already a sight to behold. Once inside, I felt instantly at home. A mishmash of furniture lend the cafe a rather kitschy but laid back vibe.

love the retaso cloth placed underneath the glass

banana milkshake

Tuscan white bean soup

I always order soup to start off my meal. Even though my server enthusiastically recommends the cafe's newest offering, the Fried Calamari w/ sriracha aioli, I already had my eyes on the Tuscan White Bean Soup (P80.00). A considerable thick soup lent by the pureed white beans, it's one hearty soup perfect to battle the coldness of the city's current weather. I also like that this soup was laced with pesto oil.

I seemed to be ordering Banana Milkshake (P95.00) whenever I spy one on the menu. I'm currently addicted with this stuff. Cool and creamy, the flavor of banana rings through with every sip. I also like the retaso-like cloth placed underneath the drinking glass and the milkshake. A very charming touch, I must say.

brunch wrap

spicy chorizo pasta

I wanted a pasta and sandwich combo for the carbo meal that I planned to have here in 14 Four Cafe. However, my original choice, the Steak Sandwich was not available. I settled to the server's suggestion of Brunch Wrap (250.00), basically a tortilla wrap burrito with scrambled egg, potatoes, salsa, roasted garlic aioli, avocado and your choice of meat. I chose the grilled chicken to be added in. This wrap kind of reminded me of KFC's Twister, but more filling and can be a meal on its own. I also like that it comes with tortilla chips. I only just wish that there's a side salsa to dip the chips with.

The Spicy Chorizo Pasta (P240.00) was my absolute fave. It's an aglio oglio pasta dish that's quite al dente. They didn't scrimp with the chorizo and it literally littered the pasta. I only just wish the spiciness level was up a bit.

peanut butter pie cup

peach mango dessert

Now it's time for desserts. I was really expecting actual cake slices to be served but I wasn't prepped by the waitstaff that the desserts will be presented in serving glasses. I do like the Peanut Butter Pie Cups (P120.00). A mousse-like dessert with a chocolate graham cracker crust as its base and crushed peanuts on top, a perfect dessert for those who love peanut butter.

The peach mango dessert (P120.00) which the actual name escaped me was nothing special. It's like a streusel layered dessert of whipped cream and canned peaches. I didn't even detect any mango on this dessert or I might just have missed it. Here's hoping for more choices on desserts the next time I visit.

French pressed coffee

love the small silver spoon

To go along with the desserts, I had their French pressed coffee (P70.00). I really enjoyed it's earthy aroma and flavor. And look at that spoon silverware! It's sooo cute that I wanted to bring it home he-he! ;)

my take out bag

They also accept food orders for chewy chocolate and walnut cookies; and a cured salmon appetizer called gravlax served with mini pancakes and yogurt sauce. Details on how to order can be found on their Facebook page and their official website. And in case you're wondering why it's called the 14 Four Cafe, just check out the restaurant's address *wink*.

144 Magnolia Lane
Gregoria Heights Subdivision
Brgy. San Isidro
Taytay, Rizal

0999-888-0144
Email: info@14fourcafe.com
Facebook page
www.14fourcafe.com


2 comments:

  1. thanks for the feedback and thank you for braving the rain just to get to us! :) we would love to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikita,

      It was a pleasure. I would surely be back to 14 Four Cafe and might bring my friends along with me. Might try your menu's main entrees next time. :)

      Delete