Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Kebab & Steak Place For Night People

food at Hassan Kabab & Steaks

I wouldn't have known the existence of Hassan Kabab & Steaks if not for my friends Gael and Marianne. They lavished me with the wonderful meals they had here that naturally stirred my curiosity. The only drawback was that the restaurant only opens in the evening, right after the sun has set. Around 6 PM onward. I asked them if they know the reason behind this unusual hours of operation for a restaurant. They told me Hassan established their popularity among the night crowd. From people looking for a good meal after a hard day's work or looking for nice, chill place for a watering hole. And Hassan would like to keep it that way. I was also told that there's another branch of Hassan in Katipunan however they were not exactly sure of its location.


inside Hassan


it's couples night at Hassan. Tee-hee! ;)

I was informed by Gael that Hassan was previously situated on the roadside but now they moved it far off the road. So, that means your food will not be littered with fumes coming from the smoke belch by various vehicles and jeepneys passing by that road. Hassan imbibe that culture of a watering hole, complete with loud music streaming from its speakers though I don't find it noisome since they do have a good selection of music and dark, brooding lights with a dominant hue of pumpkin orange that I find too gaudy. With this kind of ambiance, one is enticed to order a beer or two to go with your meal however I don't feel like taking any alcoholic beverages that night so I settled for a milkshake. Plus the fact that I already gorged quite a Baconator meal at Wendy's earlier, complete with a strawberry milkshake, a Frosty, Biggie sized French fries, and a side order of baked potatoes topped with cheese sauce and bacon bits. I might end up puking all of those up and making a mess all over the place if I taken any alcohol that night since I have a very low tolerance when it comes to booze intake. Oh, well.

My only complaint, though, was the restaurant's over-all surroundings was way too dark for my liking that I wasn't able to produce decent enough pictures for this post. And most people dining that night were couples. What is this? A love shack? I also find it weird that the large screen TV propped on one wall showed meme mostly culled from the internet. 

sauces


banana milkshake and hummus

I was given various squeeze bottles of sauces. I was actually overwhelmed by it. Not quite sure how I could incorporate those sauces to the meals I ordered. Such a shame, really. I should brought Gael with me next time so I would know how to mix and match those sauces. When one of the waitstaff came over to my table and ask if she could get the sauces to be offered to a group who just arrived, I didn't mind it at all. 

I also ordered Hummus, curious how it would taste like. It actually just mashed chickpeas or garbanzo beans and tahini (paste made from sesame seeds), a spritz of calamansi or lemon juice, some garlic and drizzled with olive oil. It's like a pate in texture with a rather bland flavor   and that unmistakable hint of garlic. I expected this order would also come with some roti or bread but I was wrong. Should have asked first hehehe. Nevertheless, I spread some of the hummus on my order of pizza.

I chugged down my order with the aid of a glass of Banana Milkshake and a glass of water. Quite addicted to banana milkshake nowadays.


sizzling porterhouse


Hassan rice


Keema Pie

The food here was great. I really quite enjoyed it. The Sizzling Porterhouse Steak came with a side of vegetables and gravy. Although the gravy was a bit scant, the meat was really flavorful. A bit tough but with a bit push of the knife the meat glides off easily enough. Just eat this meat while its hot because it has a tendency to acquire a cloying oil aftertaste once it sits there for a while.

Instead of having the regular rice, I decided to upgrade it to Hassan Rice. And I would recommend that you do the same. This rice implodes with a lot of flavor once you taste it. Cumin and other spices come into play. It titillates the taste buds that would prompt you to take one spoonful after another. Delish!

The Keema pie I ordered is one of the few pizza dishes Hassan offered. It's actually just minced pork, with some cheese and pizza sauce drizzled with yogurt on top of a thin crusted pizza. Though I'm a big fan of thick crust pizza, I adore this keema pie immensely. There's a hint of spice to it that is quite addictive. And when I brought some of it home for take-out, my Tita was so enamored with this pizza that she asked me when will I be back to order some more. As I think about it, here's where the bottles of sauces would come into play. Maybe next time.



HASSAN KABAB AND STEAKS

Imelda Ave., Cainta Rizal
(near Sta. Lucia Mall's Brick Road)

No comments:

Post a Comment