Sunday, November 18, 2012

I Dare You To Forget Me Not

French macarons & a chick lit paperback

I seem to be gravitating towards dessert cafe and coffee shops that has a feminine flair to it these days which is quite fine by me. I love tables topped with laced covers, pink and floral accents plus exquisitely detailed cups, saucers, plates and utensils. So it was no wonder that I visited Forget Me Not Specialty Cakes which I first read about on the Dessert Comes First website. It's a fairly new bakery cafe in a not-so-obscure location in Makati and I didn't mind at all getting a little lost trying to find it. I usually take that as a challenge and was never fazed by the unfamiliarity of its location.



What struck me first when I arrived at Forget Me Not was how close to empty their display case. I was informed by one of the staff that they had a event yesterday that resulted to their supply being demolished almost completely. I was even told that none of their savory food items were available, just the sweets. Not an encouraging first impression, I must say since I really did plan to have a full meal here so I was a bit unprepared to go full force with just their sugary sweet. Oh, well! I'm already here so might as well take the plunge.

Another thing that I notice was how limiting the space on this bakery cafe. On a given busy day, this place could easily fill up. I waited for a few beats before the staff decided to turn on the air-conditioning and the lights. I brought a paperback copy of Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell in hopes of a blissful read while munching on some sweets but that didn't progressed well since the girl staff switch on the radio in full volume. I have difficulty reading especially if the background noise was too loud.


dulce de leche cheesecake


brazo


iced tea 

I first tried the Dulce de Leche Cheesecake. While the cheesecake itself was dense and sufficiently creamy, the cream on top has that cloying texture on the tongue that made me scrape off the top and finished off the cheesecake instead.

I was more impressed with the Brazo de Remedios, Forget Me Not's own take to an all-time Pinoy dessert favorite, Brazo de Mercedes. The egg white part of it was satisfyingly sticky and the custard filling was not overly sweet.


French macarons

I was quite excited as well to try out Forget me Nots signature French macarons. It chewier than the other macarons than I tried before. But it's delectably sweet and provides a pleasurable crumbly feel inside the mouth. I only just hope that instead of an iced tea, I just had their hot tea which I think would go so much better with the desserts I ordered. What was I thinking at the time?



Arnaiz Avenue, formerly known as Pasay Road, is a sideway street in Makati that I haven't fully unraveled yet. So I might travel back here to try out the other restaurants that I saw, most notably those clusters of food establishments housed within the Milky Way Building.



Makati Cake Shop
928 Arnaiz Avenue

869-5333
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment