Monday, November 5, 2012

FACE-OFF: Flat Whites & Latte Arts

flat white & cake at Cafeccino By Dome

I first heard about the existence of a coffee beverage variant called flat white via Dessert Comes First. I was quite intrigued by it and the word "flat white" has a mysterious appeal to me. So, I set about on trying this out on the two cafes Lori's site has recommended where you could get this type of caffeine beverage.

Cafeccino By Dome

inside Cafeccino

flat white with a Hello Kitty latte art

my favorite Chocolate Cake

The first flat white that I've tried was from Cafeccino By Dome. I've been to this cafe on a few occasions already and I quite like their Chocolate Cake so I saw this as an excuse for me to try again this super delicious cake.

I was quite delighted when the staff hand me down my order of flat white since they made a very cute Hello Kitty latte art on it. Enchanted that I was, I just stared at this charming art on my flat white and a few moments had past before I had to remind myself that coffee is always taken best while its searing hot. But I tell you, it was a struggle to tear up the packet of brown sugar and pour its contents onto Hello Kitty's foamy face and watched it diminish before my very eyes as I stirred my coffee with a teaspoon.

What I've noticed as I took a sip from my cup was the velvety smoothness of this flat white compared to a regular latte. Maybe because of the microfoam that was used instead of the usual dry foam that was incorporated on lattes. Technically aside, I like the daintiness quality of this drink. Smooth, silky (and quite sexy, I might add) followed by the sucker punch flavor of good, strong coffee.



1880 Bldg., E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave.
Eastwood Cyberpark, Libis

470-3950

~~~~~~~~~
McCafe


flat white & peach boat tart at McCafe

The following day I decided to try the flat white from McCafe. It also has that same velvety texture with the microfoam top and all but somehow I can't help but compare it to the flat white at Cafeccino. It's more straightforward in appearance, I know. But sometimes putting extra care with its presentation and personalizing it with the use of a latte art somehow spell a difference. But I did enjoyed this flat white drink from McCafe nevertheless. Best enjoyed when eaten with your favorite pastry dessert, in this case with the Peach Boat Tart.


flat white, up-close



Eastwood Citywalk 1, 188 Eastwood Ave.
Bagumbayan Libis, Quezon City

(02)8-6236
~~~~~~~~~
Figaro


butterscotch vanilla latte & chocolate cake at Figaro

I just realized that whenever I'm at Figaro, I ended up ordering the same coffee beverage which is the Butterscotch Vanilla Latte. But what's not to love with this drink. Buttery and not too sweet plus with that right amount of kick from the espresso. I may have some reservation on ordering desserts here but not with their coffee. I also like the way they incorporate latte art on most of their hot drinks. But the latte art that I got earlier today was somehow haphazardly done. But that doesn't diminish my love with this coffee beverage. I'll make it a point though to order other hot drink from their menu next time. The Chocolate Cookie Latte would be my next possible prospect. 


sipping butterscotch vanilla latte while trying to connect (in vain) to the net with my phone



www.figarocoffee.com
~~~~~~~~~
Subspace Coffee


Danish pastry and purple latte

Subspace Coffee will always be on my list of favorite coffee shop. There's always something new to try here it seems whenever I come to visit. They've introduced the Storm drink a few months ago which is their own take to the frapp drink that other coffee houses offer which I'm fortunate enough to try. However, I always go here for the hot drinks. Excited and eagerly awaiting on what their talented baristas would whip up this time to prettify your coffee of choice, hopefully decorating it with a fancy latte art on top which exactly the case when I came here one afternoon after a tiring shift at work.


interior exudes all things K-Pop


coffee merchandises and display case of pastries/desserts


Cream Cheese Danish pastry & purple potato latte


purple latte; up-close

It's nice to know that they're now selling cup merchandise with the Subspace logo on it. Might consider getting one as a gift perhaps this Christmas. But for now, I'm here for some Purple Potato Latte and a pastry. 

When the Purple Potato Latte was handed down on me, it elicited that same awe reaction when the flat white at Cafeccino By Dome was served to me. I can't help but admire the cute Panda latte art on it with its chinky eyes and its one paw up as if waving happily at me. It took me a while before I pick up my drink and cupping it with both hands I reverently took a sip and relished the familiar flavor of this purple potato drink that I've come to love. It made me echo the slogan that I spied on the wall, which is: "Happy Purple Day!"

The Cream Cheese Danish pastry that I ordered was wonderfully flaky and buttery. As I took another sip of my latte drink and admired the kitsch interior of Subspace, I deduced that sometimes all I need is a good cup of coffee to get me through the most hectic of all hectic days. And with a personal touch of a magnificent latte art on top, it made it seem all worthwhile.



Unit 103, G/F Grand Emerald Tower
F. Ortigas Jr. Road (Emerald Ave.)
Ortigas Center, Pasig City

655-7077

No comments:

Post a Comment