Sunday, March 24, 2013

Some Good Eats

2012-12-13-3507
salad & sangria at Pizza Hut Bistro

Just random food features of old favorites and a fairly new tea place that caught my fancy.

Pizza Hut Bistro

2012-12-11-3504
mozzarella sticks, carbonara, pan pizza

Pizza Hut Bistro is oftentimes overlooked. Their thick crust pizzas is something that I always fall upon greedily. Way better than the uber-popular thin crust pizza of another competitor, IMHO (Sorry, Shakey's fans). This bias stemmed from my long standing preference for thick crusted over thin crusted pizza. I'm also a believer that the bistro offer better food choices than the regular Pizza Hut chain. That belief was further reinforced when I dined at the bistro with a friend at their Robinsons Galleria branch. Our orders were limiting but we were nonetheless satisfied with it. So, I decided to go back to Pizza Hut Bistro, this time in their branch in Eastwood and tried food items exclusively offered at the bistro.

2012-12-13-3508
non-alcoholic sangria

2012-12-13-3509
Waldorf chopped salad

I started off with the Waldorf Chopped Salad, a nice medley of flavors and colors. The killer here was the caramelized walnuts and the honey cream dressing. Soo, soo good. Quite a hefty serving at that, too that this salad can be a meal on its own.

The Sangria is a refreshing drink bursting with different fruit flavors that harmonizes quite well at each sip.

2012-12-13-3513
squash soup

2012-12-13-3516
Texas bake

2012-12-13-3511
Carbonara pizza

To boast my appetite more, I had the creamy Squash Soup while waiting for the rest of my orders to arrive. A hearty soup that I really enjoyed eating that I dismiss the beads of sweet it invariably created on my forehead.

Intrigued by the name, Texas Bake, I ordered this one for my pasta. I was informed right away by one of the server that they've ran out of fusilli (spiral) pasta used for the Texas Bake and asked me if it would be okay if they'll use penne pasta instead. I concur, but I imagined the pasta dish would be a prettier sight if they had the fusilli instead. That didn't stop me, though, in forking my way through this pasta till it's gone. 

The Carbonara Pizza, one of the gourmet pizzas offered at the bistro, will forever be my favorite. The creamy bechamel sauce and stringy mozzarella cheese is what make this pizza just unforgettable. The smoked ham, crisp bacon, mushroom and an extra load of parmesan (all requisites for a carbonara dish) elevate this pizza to unparalleled heights of deliciousness. Just thinking about it makes me drool all over again. Hehehe! ;)

2012-12-13-3518
dessert sampler

They said all good things comes in threes so I decided to have the Dessert Sampler that offers a trio of desserts in junior sizes: the Mango Panna Cotta, Choco Lava Cake and the Mud Pie Sundae (which looked more to me like just a scoop of vanilla ice cream surrounded by grounded Oreo cookies). Among the three, I liked the choco lava cake the most. Moist chocolate cake with a gooey chocolate center.

1

www.pizzahut.com.ph

~~~~~~~~~
Sip


2013-01-24-3784
at Sip

This encounter to Sip is more incidental than anything else. I was eyeing to try out Marufuku Japanese Restaurant in Pearl Drive, but much to my dismay I was told by one of the station guards in the area that the the resto will not open till 6PM for dinner. On to Pearl Plaza then and was immediately drawn by the cartoonish interior of Sip.

2013-01-24-3791
Sip; Pearl Plaza

2013-01-24-3790
cartoon mural

2013-01-24-3785
chocolate chappuccino

There's a lot of teas to chose from; from the flavored teas and milk teas (although not sure the difference between the two) and the Chappuccino, a cappuccino version of milk tea, I presume? Intrigued by it, I ordered the Chocolate version of this variant with the add on of pudding. A rather safe choice I must say but sometimes it works for me that way. I was instructed by the server to use the small wooden stick with a pointed tip to cut a small diagonal hole on the plastic seal of my Chappuccino and drink through the hole before using the straw. But I'd only got just the cream on top and the chocolate tea drink. So after a few sip, I stuck the straw in to get equal amounts of cream and the chocolate tea. Good stuff, I must say. I liked it!

2013-01-24-3786
chicken chop

2013-01-24-3789
honeycomb waffle

Hope I could say the same with the nibblers offered at Sip but they were rather dismal. The Honeycomb Waffle was paper thin and bit too chewy. The Chicken Chop, promised to have a slight spicy note according to one sign on the wall but in reality it was actually the reverse. The chop was rather on the sweet side. And the coating of the chop was rather similar to the ones used in making sesame mochi balls and I couldn't hide my aversion over it. I even ended up removing the chicken meat from the coating. Really hope they make an improvement on this. But for now, I'll just go back for the teas. The Cheesecake Tea seem to be something worth coming back to.

2

www.idloveasip.com
~~~~~~~~~
Cafe Breton

2013-01-24-3793
crepes at Cafe Breton

Not happy with the nibblers that I had at Sip, I then walked my way to The Podium. Thinking good crepes would banish the encroaching disappointment that I'm feeling, I went straight to Cafe Breton.

2013-01-24-3792
Excalibur

2013-01-24-3794
Le Magnifique

I decided to have one savory crepe and one dessert crepe. Cafe Breton's savory crepes has some of the most unique names that I ever encountered. With monikers such as Dracula, Poseidon, Neptune and Hawaii Five-O, who wouldn't be enticed? I settled for the Excalibur. It has all the makings of an unforgettable crepe: Emmenthal cheese, ham, asparagus, sauteed onions and mushrooms. This one delivers and quite happy with it. I just didn't expect the asparagus would be the most predominant among all the other ingredients on this crepe. 

My dessert crepe, the Le Magnifique is a classic pairing of Nutella, smothered generously over the crepe, and bananas. With the addition of whipped cream and crushed almonds, this crepe is a fulfillment of the dessert crepe of my most fevered dream. 

2013-01-24-3798
hot chocolate

And what better way to partake this excellent crepes than with an excellent cup of Hot Chocolate. Searing hot and deeply chocolatey. One of the best hot chocolate that I've tried.

3
G/F, The Podium
ADB Ave.
Mandaluyong City

687-5971

No comments:

Post a Comment