Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Slice Of San Fo-Philippine Cuisine In Hyphy's

table setting

I've had my eyes on Hyphy's ever since the resto opened a couple of months back. I'm not quite sure why it took me this long to try out this restaurant by Chef Bruce Lim. Maybe because it was so near our office that is why I don't feel the urgency of going there. I usually prefer going by travel to places for my food finds. I'm a masochist that way.

The opportunity came to try out this San-Fo Pinoy cuisine when we planned to watch Wenn Deramas' Praybeyt Benjamin starring Vice Ganda and Derek Ramsey. I suggested to try out Hyphy's since I still have to attend work right after. I was quite excited that evening since it was a reunion of sorts with my friends Karen Anne, Jhen and Darlene whom I haven't gone out with for quite sometime now because of conflicting schedules.

hyphy's interior

I truly admired the interiors of Hyphy's. It exudes masculinity from the well designed (and quite sturdy) tables and chairs, minimalist wall design and to the squarish ceiling lights. A friend of mine, Pau, "accused" me of only going to (quote-unquote) "girly-themed" restaurants. Well, this will prove to him I also like a little masculinity, food-wise.

Anyway, here's the food we ordered.

San Miguel Light (P60.00)

beer

Jhen complained that her beer was not below zero. I only throw her a quizzical look (since I'm not really a beer connoisseur, how in the world would I know what a beer below zero should be. He-he!) I've done a little research, though, and learned beer below zero is an ice cold beer with chiller temperature between 2 to 6 degrees Celsius.

Watermelon Shake (P75.00)

watermelon shake

Cool and refreshing. With the right amount of sweetness. I noticed I'm inclined to order fruit shakes nowadays. Which is not a bad thing. My own little way of making healthy choices, I guess. ;)

Karen only opted to order just water since she's was advised by her doctor to take extra care of her throat.

Prawn Cocktail (P220.00)

prawn cocktail

I was half-expecting that this dish will be served in a cocktail glass or two, so it was a little let down when it arrived to us served as a salad. But the flavor of the dish didn't disappoint. The prawns was not overcooked and the dollop of that red sauce has a spicy zing to it.

Calamansi Tuyo Pasta (P130.00)

calamansi tuyo pasta

Karen was quite undecided which pasta dish to order so she asked for the waitress recommendation. The waitress promptly suggested their bestseller which is the Calamansi Tuyo Pasta. Apparently, this dish was also offered in Chef Bruce Lim more upscale fine dining restaurant, Chef's Table at The Fort (or is it just called BGC now?) at a much steeper price. 

Karen was quite worried that the pasta would be quite salty because of the tuyo. Her fear was unfounded since the saltiness of the pasta was very subdued.

Chef's Salad (P210.00)

chef's salad

I ordered the Chef's Salad to have greens to go along with my meal (since I initially thought the Prawn Salad will be served differently). Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with this salad. It has slices of pomelo, cherry tomatoes, baby potatoes, spears of asparagus, hard boiled egg and that peanutty vinaigrette sauce has that slight tanginess. Its already a meal in itself.

Mac & Cheese (P220.00)

mac & cheese

Jhen find the dish quite dry and lacks the creaminess that she's looking for. I'm quite happy with it, actually. Its creamy enough that coated each macaroni noodles. And its cheesy enough that warrants more than a forkful.

Sisig Pasta (P170.00)

sisig pasta

The least favorite dish among our group. It even prompted Karen to say the pasta was just like a normal pancit with sisig placed on top (she's very straightforward with her opinion, as you may have noticed). The dish was good enough but it doesn't make any outstanding impression on my palate like the calamansi tuyo pasta and the mac & cheese.

Pineapple Upside Down (P120.00)

pineapple upside down

I wouldn't leave Hyphy's without trying any of their desserts. I was looking for a different kind of dessert aside from chocolate that night so I opted to try this pineapple dessert with a very intriguing name. Its actually glazed pineapple crust on top of a sponge like cake. Hence the name Pineapple Upside Down. A tartly sweet pineapple crust with a crumbly cake. I could have enjoyed this cake more if we don't need to rush unless we want to be late for the movie screening.

salad & pasta

Hyphy's has a lot of things to offer based on their menu, we just opted for pastas and salad since we all wanted to eat something light that night. I was teased by Karen if I would like to order some sandwich as I perused the menu (she knows my predilections to burgers and sandwiches). Maybe next time, since I'll definitely be back to Hyphy's to try out other items on their extensive menu.

from left: darlene, jhen & karen

from left: darlene, karen & my chubby self (photo courtesy of jhen)

We all had a grand time that night. I enjoyed the company and the chickahan with my friends as much as the food served to us. Patrick and Diselle followed suit specifically for the movie screening.

hyphy's at the veranda

I was quite intimidated at first by this resto on first impression. However, right after our commendable meal. I wouldn't mind going back. I would even go to the extent of trying out his much hyped Filipino fine dining resto in Taguig. 


The Veranda, Robinsons Galleria
Quezon City

477-7611

No comments:

Post a Comment