Monday, February 20, 2012

A Day With Henry & Gael

pouring syrup on pancakes

I got a private message from Henry on Facebook wanting us to meet before he set off to Singapore for a month long vacation. He said Gael will be joining us as well. I was only unsure about Henry's specified date (which according to him its non-negotiable because he'll be busy packing and running some errands right after for his impending travel) for us to meet since I'm also expecting another get-together of some sort with Lei and company. Good thing, Lei informed me thru text that the planned get-together will be postponed till next week. The outcome of that get-together with Lei and the rest of my IMPI family was detailed on my Cafe Cristina post.

Upon learning this postponement, I immediately replied to Henry's message to inform him that I could possibly meet up with him and Gael on his proposed date.

medium fries, coke float, cadbury mcflurry and iodize salt for the fries

As expected, I suffered the weekend traffic on my way to Robinsons Galleria in Ortigas. The slow, turtle-like pace of the vehicles amplified my growing hunger and by the time I arrived at the mall, I was so famished. I expected that I would arrived there first and might wait for quite sometime so I decided to alleviate my hunger a bit with a light snack at McDonalds. I also saw this as an opportunity to try their Cadbury McFlurry. Its sweet, creamy and chocolaty. Although, I learned that another variant of this McFlurry was released in Europe called Cadbury Creme Egg McFlurry. Now that would be something that I'd also like to try!


inside pancake house


henry with movie posters lining the wall

menu & table setting

I haven't really thought yet of where we would eat. However, when Gael and Henry finally arrived, I decided that I would like to have pancakes with them. Gael gaped at me when I suggested Pancake House for our lunch fix making a small 'o' with her mouth. Not really sure why. Henry, though, was so taken with his own growing hunger to notice it. Pancake House is part of the Pancake House Group which also include Dencio's, Kabisera Ng Dencio's, Le Coeur de France, Teriyaki Boy, Sizzling Pepper Steak and Singkit; a New York-style Chinese take-out and delivery outlet in Makati well-known for their lechon macau and sweet & sour pork. Not sure, though, if Singkit is still in operation.


water & iced tea


grape shake


I wanted to veer away from the usual iced tea and sodas so I tried their Grape Shake. It came with this nice looking svelte glass. I like its sugary sweetness from the crushed grapes. I also tried to restraint myself from sipping this drink with much gusto lest I wanted to suffer from brain freeze. 


roast beef special set

crispy bacon on asparagus & mushroom tagliatelle


sauteed beef on tagliatelle w/ tomato cream sauce


Henry decided to have the Roast Beef Special Set (P231.00) which includes sauteed mixed vegetables, Caesar salad, rice and iced tea. Henry was not quite happy with his roast beef and he was very vocal about it. I tried some and I have to agree. It tasted like ground beef patties that already lost all its beefiness and texture. The gravy mixture was not enough to slake its dryness. I find this quite surprising since I've been reading a lot of good things about the roast beef here in Pancake House. Must be not Henry's 'lucky' day with the roast beef dish. The Caesar salad was just okay. My only complaint was the dressing accorded to it was so small to make it taste Caesar salad-like. I wonder how the famous radio DJ/host, seated right next to our booth, felt about his own roast beef order?


Gael was not that head over heals either with her Crispy Bacon On Asparagus & Mushroom Tagliatelle (P155.00). I tried some and I actually liked it. Since Gael sprinkled chili powder and ground pepper to her pasta dish with much gusto, it blended so well with the creaminess of the sauce that doesn't make it too spicy. I only just find the shitake mushroom a bit icky which apparently what made Gael put off with the dish.


I, however, was having a love affair with my pasta order of Sauteed Beef On Tagliatelle w/ Tomato Cream Sauce (P195.00). Its creamy with the slight tang from the tomato sauce, mildly spicy with lots of grated cheese on top. I let Henry try my order and he said, dewy-eyed, "Buti pa 'yung order mo, malasa." The next thing I know, he's swirling his fork on my tagliatelle dish more than once. I just can't help but smile.


chocolate chip pancake


coffee viennese


I haven't been back to Pancake House for quite sometime so I was so excited to try again their pancakes. I had the Chocolate Chips Pancakes (P147.00 for 2 pcs.) on which Henry also ordered the same pancake variant. Substantially thick pancakes with an amusing circular pattern of chocolate embedded onto it. Its quite hefty that I was only able to finish a piece and a half of it. I find the Coffee Viennese that I ordered with the pancakes very strong that my face wrinkled every time I took a sip. Gael tried the coffee and she find the strong flavor quite nice since she usually drink Barako coffee at home. This got me thinking that I must acquaint myself to stronger brew coffees so I could fully appreciate its earthy flavors.


pancake house; robinsons galleria


As we leave the resto, Gael said matter-of-factly the reason why she reacted the way she did when I suggested Pancake House because of her friends' tell tales of them not liking the food they ordered here. A case that was amplified even more with her and Henry's reactions to their respective dish. Unpleasant comments notwithstanding, I would still go back to Pancake House. Food items I ordered in this visit was quite good that I'd be re-miss if I didn't try the other dishes that they have in the menu. Although, I'm just not sure if Henry and Gael would sail on the same boat with me.




4/F Robinsons Galleria
EDSA cor. Ortigas Ave.


632-9114


www.pancakehouse.com.ph


Facebook Page


~~~~~~~~~

cold lattes


On this day, I also introduced Subspace Coffee to my friends. I've been telling them about this cool coffee house in Emerald Ave. as we're getting ready to leave Pancake House. I was so pleased when I saw on their faces how they marvelled the kitschy, K-Pop-ish interior of the coffee house as soon as we set our foot at Subspace. I won't discuss in length about our stay here on this post since I already detailed it on my previous post on Subspace. Though, I know for sure that they're not going to give up their favorite frappes of the uber-popular Starbucks anytime soon, its still nice to let my friends know that there are alternative coffee shops out there for them to try.




Unit 103, G/F Grand Emerald Tower
F. Ortigas Jr. Road (Emerald Ave.)
Ortigas Center, Pasig City


655-7077


~~~~~~~~~


flavored wings at wing hub


We mutually felt its still too early to call it a day so right after chillin' at Subspace Coffee we brisk-walked our way to Metrowalk. For the first time, I craved for the sweet-tingly alcohol bite of Tanduay Ice. Henry also concurred. Gael, however, saying she's a good girl now, decided no alcohol would touch her lips this day. After we quickly surveyed the whole Metrowalk strip we decided to get our alcohol fix at Wing Hub, one of the newer restaurants to sprout here. 


I normally dine inside restaurants to fully immerse myself and also to check out the interiors. I've seen on some of the food blogs how awesome the interiors of Wing Hub. Its main attraction is the large Tora airplane, a single-seater aircraft with large propellers, hanging from the ceiling. However, we settled to dine al fresco since one of my friends (I won't say who! *wink*) also needs to smoke.


tanduay ice


classic buffalo wings


peri-peri style wings


Henry and I finally got our Tanduay Ice (P30.00 each) which I gingerly sip all throughout our stay in Wing Hub. Both Henry and I don't really drink so one bottle were already enough for us to get a little tipsy. We also ordered the six pieces set of Wings (P375.00) for our pulutan. We also asked our female server to make half of the wings on the set to be on their Classic Buffalo sauce and the other half (upon Gael's suggestion) on their Peri-Peri sauce. 


The Classic Buffalo Wings has that sour-sweet flavor and mildly spiced. Good enough to pair with each swig of Tanduay Ice. However, the Peri-Peri Wings was flaming. Its a volcanic rapture of spiciness that I finished my Tanduay Ice in no time with one swallow and immediately asked for a water refill. Henry cleared his throat as soon as the hot flavors of the peri-peri made its onslaught on his tongue. For a person who considers BonChon's spicy chicken too hot to bear, I was astounded he was able to finish his share.


Gael, on the other hand, seemed unfazed by the peri-peri's bitey flavor. She even scooped the deadly orange sauce to her wing before she happily forked the meat to her mouth. I was stupefied that she doesn't even twitch with the peri-peri's spiciness that I had to asked her if she's a Bicolana. She just smiled giddily and said, "Mahilig lang talaga ako sa maanghang." (Apparently, with my recent conversation with Gael, she did confirmed to me that she is from Bicol)


the candle we've used to ward off a big fly who suddenly came in attendance


Before we left Metrowalk, we visited a small sex shop named Pleasure Place just out of curiosity since I've never been to one. I was mind-boggled to say the least. A lot of kinky stuff like lubes, sex games, video CDs, sexy lingeries, hand-cuffs, fleshlight and the likes. Quite informative, I should say he-he! I'm tempted to take a picture of the shop's interior however Henry told me not to. He said its not allowed. Even though I'm really itching to snap a picture, I don't want us to be lead out by one of the staff because of my indulgence. But still I'm quite sad that I didn't have a single memento pic even with my friends on the background with all those erotic toys.


gael


henry & chubby me


Thanks again to my friends for this whole-day affair of wonderful bonding. Hope we could do it again possibly after Henry comes back from his month-long vacation.


wing hub; metrowalk


As for Wing Hub, hope to try your other wing flavors. This time inside your cozy resto.




Metrowalk, Meralco Ave.,
Pasig City


661-5307


Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment