Saturday, February 25, 2012

An Impromptu Movie & Foodie Date w/ Karen Anne

menu

I've often mentioned to my friend Karen Anne that she was the one 'responsible' for my changed of mindset (more like a metamorphosis) about food and eating. Before we've met, I'm very much contented eating at fast food chains (the usual suspects would be Jollibee, McDonalds and KFC). I then subscribed to Henry's, my cheapskate friend, point of view about food: "Hindi naman kailangang kumain sa mahal dahil matutunaw din naman yan sa tiyan." At that time, eating at Pizza Hut or even having a Baconator meal at Wendy's was already considered a luxury on my part. 

When I met Karen, she introduced me to food places and restaurants that I never would have considered visiting. I shied away from them before not because I don't like going there, but because I easily get intimidated if the restaurant or food place is not that familiar to me. As I was tagged along by Karen, I became more and more relaxed with each food trip that eventually I yearned to try out something new. It came to a point that I even began suggesting restaurant for us to dine that even Karen herself hasn't even tried yet.


table setting


Our most recent dine out was as impromptu as it can be. It started out as a mundane chat  with her through Facebook. When I mentioned to her that I'm planning to watch Underworld: Awakening, it escalated from there. The next thing I knew, I'm bracing myself the Sunday afternoon traffic on a cramped FX taxi on my to EDSA Shang-rila to meet up with Karen.


Right after the movie, we were faced with the dilemma on where to dine among the slew of restaurants within the mall's vicinity. Earlier, I've mentioned to her through chat that we could possibly try either SumoSam or Cyma, with me inclining to try the latter while Karen inclining to try SumoSam. We decided to check out Cyma first. Although this Greek restaurant was not full, most of the tables we tried to sit our buns to have all been reserved. Bummer! I could swear I saw a glint in Karen's eyes as we strutted ourselves back to SumoSam. As it turned out, I quite enjoyed the food we tried here in Marvin Agustin's restaurant baby that I didn't feel any hint of regret regarding not able to try its neighboring resto.


las vegas rolls


happy birthday noodles


For starters, we've tried a sushi dish called Las Vegas Rolls (P248.00). A maki roll made of kani sticks, scallops topped with torched and melted cheese. Dunk the roll on a mixture of soy sauce spiked with wasabe and get ready for your eyes to roll up your lids with its sheer goodness. Yummy!


Karen specifically ordered for the Happy Birthday Noodles (P278.00). I find it odd at first that she would order this dish since neither of us were celebrating our birthdays. But I'm so glad she did since its one umami-exploding dish. I happily devoured most of the sausages; and the marinated pork was brimming in its oily, fatty goodness that I didn't care if I had a heart attack at that very moment. 


chicken teppan


unagidon


unagidon (up-close)


Karen ordered the Chicken Teppan (P308.00) which was all good, however I find the flavors of it rather benign compared to my Unagidon (P638.00). A donburi dish with sliced marinated eel on a bed of rice. A thoughtful touch of sesame seeds tumbled about and nori flakes placed on top, the flavor of this dish ensnared me on my first spoonful. Its a rapturous flavors of sweet, salty and umami. A dish so good I slumped my shoulders and gaze at my bowl momentarily, awestruck and mesmerized.


lychee & rose


frozen tiramisu


Karen do not share my fondness with the Lychee & Rose Shake (P148.00), with her wincing at the thought of lychee, much more of it pureed as a drink. Its a creamy shake that fits the bill. Although I'm half-expecting an adornment of rose petals of some sort placed on top. Hehehe!


Although Karen and I are not big fans of tiramisu, we both loved the Frozen Tiramisu (P168.00) of SumoSam. Its more like an ice cream cake, really. And its not super sweet. Karen liked this dessert so much that she polished it easily, gliding the last piece of the cake to the chocolate sauce drizzled onto the plate. Its pure utopia, baby! (Sorry, I just have to say that)




The menu of SumoSam is quite expansive that we've only just scratched the surface with few of he food items we ordered. The Samurai's Choice Bento Box meal and Okonomiyaki Waffles would be something I look forward to try on my next visit.


kuya regi's paintings


I also didn't want to miss my friend, Kuya Regi's masterpieces, as part of the painting exhibit by the Confucius Institute Chinese Painting Students in celebration of the Chinese New Year (I know, I'm posting this a bit too late), located at the Grand Atrium of the mall which we were able to visit.  I like the tranquil quality of Kuya Regi's paintings with nature as its main theme.


karen anne


To Karen Anne, my partner in food crime. Till our next food trip! =)




EDSA Shang-rila Mall
6th Level, Gourmet Walk
EDSA cor. Shaw Boulevard
Mandaluyong City


637-5704


www.sumosamfoods.com


Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment