Sunday, February 12, 2012

Subspace Love

subspace coffee's chocolate paradise & purple potato latte

I first read about Subspace Coffee just in passing, I'm hard pressed to remember where exactly I read about it. Maybe some online article or briefly mentioned on the comments section of the food blogs I usually frequented. I do remember that I briefly checked their Facebook page and my attention was not immediately caught by it. Not until I checked out one of many who blogged about this coffee shop, and I was literally floored by the design concept and the interiors of the cafe that I knew right away that I must visit Subspace.


the wishbone

My very first visit to Subspace, I was with Jhen, Darlene and Vicky. This would be that night after our dinner (or to put it more correctly, our bouts with the humongous sized sub sandwiches) at Mad Mark's. My friends and I have this lingering habit of going to a cafe right after a pig out to chill with our caffeine of choice and to puff a smoke (them doing the puffing, I doing the second-hand smoking). 


We didn't expect the place would be packed. Little did I know that this coffee shop already had a cult following. We might have left if not for that guy with a gracious heart (I would presume he's the manager/owner of the cafe) who lend his table to our small party, clutching his MacBook with him as he leaves.

inside subspace

inside subspace (1)


k-pop and knickknacks


mad sunshine background


counter


As soon was settled to our seats, my eyes were literally rolling around the place. I was quite smitten with their with their chair chandelier which I gathered is called the Wishbone. Posters and pictures of K-Pop matinee idols were very prevalent, of which the only group that I positively identified are those members of Korean boy band called Super Junior. I could probably asked my peer Christelle to check for me if she could identify the other male Korean stars pictured on the walls, her being a big fan of anything K-Pop.


We were so astounded and pre-occupied ogling at the very striking yet diminutive details of the coffee shop that we almost forgot to place our orders, which was why we went here in the first place. I placed my order first and then Jhen followed suit immediately after.


cakes and pastries display case


iced lemon green tea (photo courtesy of jhen)


lavender milk


counterclockwise: new york-style cheesecake, purple potato latte & devil's food cake (photo courtesy of jhen)


I initially wanted to have coffee however I was drawn to their Sweet Dreams blends, which were all milk drink concoctions. So, I selected the Lavender Milk (P115.00), a steamed milk with lavender blooms. I like hot milks as drinks so I think this one would suit me well. I wouldn't miss to try their desserts so I ordered two. The New York-style Cheesecake was quite good. Sleek and sweet. The Devil's Food Cake also made my glucose-craving heart happy. The marshmallow icing decor of this cake, though, kind of reminded me of the same cake I tried at Stacy's in Capitol Greenstreet. Jhen decided to just have the Iced Lemon Green Tea (P120.00). She let me have a sip and its a truly refreshing drink. 


A slight confusion commenced when another drink arrived to our seat. The purple drink called the Hot Purple Potato Latte (P140.00) made its appearance first. I initially thought that this is the Lavender Milk drink I ordered since lavender and purple are both the same shade. I already slurped the purple drink when the barista placed another cup on our seat. Its milky white and frothy in its consistency. Jhen and I both look at our own separate bills, still clueless about the third drink. We consulted with the barista and we were informed that they delivered to us the incorrect drink the first time. Since my lips already touched the cup, I willingly offered to pay for it since I really like the taste of the purple drink, however the barista said no need to do that and she whisked away the purple drink before I could say anything further. As soon as I tasted the lavender milk drink, I only just wished I've been more persistent in paying for the purple drink since I find the purple potato latte more tasty and satisfying than the lavender milk drink. 


Nevertheless, I enjoyed my entire stay that night at Subspace. There were so many things going on inside this charming cafe that one visit won't be enough to absorb it all in.


inside subspace (2)


comfy sofa


inside subspace (3)


i love subspace coffee and neil armstrong :)


True enough, I visited again this coffee shop. This time on a lazy Thursday afternoon with Henry and Gael after a decent lunch at Pancake House in Galleria. I was once again mesmerized by the intricate and mind-boggling designs at Subspace. I guess my own fascination with the cafe made its own ripple effect to my friends, seeing a glint of awe on their faces as they surveyed the place with their eyes.


all cold drinks from left: peanut butter latte, dark chocolate mint, purple potato latte


cold peanut butter latte (up-close)


Since we were sun scorched, we decided to have cold drinks to cool us down. Henry got the Cold Dark Chocolate Mint (P155.00), Gael ordered the Cold Purple Potato Latte (P155.00) and I had the Cold Peanut Butter Latte (P160.00). Gael was quite surprised that this cold drink doesn't have any whipped cream to it, the way whipped cream is always present on any of the cold drinks we ordered at other cafes that we became accustomed to. I just told her matter-of-factly, "It's different here."


My choice of drink is unmistakably peanutty in taste, however, I think that the peanut flavor will be more pronounced if I order it hot.


boston cream doughnut


caramel macchiato


As soon as the air conditioning unit of the coffee shop did its job of bringing down my body's heat, I decided to order a hot drink. Even though Starbucks still does it best, I was quite happy with their Hot Caramel Macchiato (P140.00), not overly sweet and has that enough caffeine kick to boost me up. Their Boston Cream Doughnut (P60.00) is very much right up the alley of Dunkin' Donuts very own Boston Kreme, although this one has scantier custard filling. 


inside subspace (4)


On another night, after watching Underworld: Awakening and binged eating at SumoSam in a nearby mall, I ushered Karen Anne here since she wasn't able to join us the first time I visited Subspace with Jhen and company. By now, you could tell I'm very enthusiastic recommending this coffee shop to my friends. Thankfully, the place was not that packed that night so we were able to chose our comfy place to lounge around.


lattes and chocolate bars


cappuccino cake & hot peanut butter latte


cappuccino cake (up-close)


karen taking a picture of her latte


I immediately ordered our drinks to pair up with the Macchiavelli Chocolatier's chocolate bars, the Bacon Bars and Cheese Bar, that I procured on our way here. (Excellent chocolate bars them are, by the way!) I recommend to Karen to get the Purple Potato Latte. She was weirded out with the idea of purple potato as a drink at first. But as soon as she sipped the drink, gradually her feeling of strangeness towards the latte diminished. It was replaced by that unmistakable calmness that a soothing drink could create which what Karen Anne greatly needs before she readies herself for another challenging but fulfilling work week.


I had the Hot Peanut Butter Latte (P130.00) this time. Quite yummy and very ChocNutty in flavor that only proved my initial notion that the hot version of this drink would be a lot better. I also ordered a Cappuccino Cake slice to which Karen was aghast when the barista placed it on our table. "Bilib na ako sa 'yo." She said, with thoughts of all the food we just eaten earlier and I still have stomach space for a cake, the weird out look made its comeback on her face. I beamed at her as I fork into my slice of cake. No regrets on my part for the additional calories brought about by this cake. It was so good and strong on coffee flavor, too.


inside subspace (5)


On my latest visit, I came here alone. Contrary to what other people perceives, this coffee shop does not always play K-Pop music. On this visit, Mandy Moore old hits were played followed by everyone current favorite, me included, Adele's. 


chocolate paradise


my very own purple potato latte


I chose the Chocolate Paradise (P115.00) since this was the only cake I spied that I haven't tried yet. A moist enough cake with chocolate that does not cloy in the mouth. And finally, my very own Hot Purple Potato Latte. I look at my purple drink, somewhat enthralled with its latte art of what seemed to me of a milky way before I took a sip. A playful flavor of sweet and salty, coffee and milk. I opened the first chapter of a book I have with me, Ricky Lee 's latest novel, Si Amapola Sa 65 Na Kabanata. I started to read the book in between nibbles of the cake and sip of the latte. I felt contented and self-assured.


darlene & vicky


me & jhen


me & gael (henry took our picture)


karen anne


subspace coffee house in ortigas


Thanks again to my friends for letting me experience this one of a kind coffee shop with them. As for Subspace, thank you for a different kind of coffee experience. I would definitely be back for more. Hope you won't get tired of me. =)




Unit 103, G/F Grand Emerald Tower
F. Ortigas Jr. Road (Emerald Ave.)
Ortigas Center, Pasig City


655-7077


Facebook Page
Tumbler Account

No comments:

Post a Comment