Wednesday, April 4, 2012

FACE OFF: Cafes That I Adore

choco mint drink and pastries

This would be a short list of coffee shops that made such an impression on me and that I would definitely visit again and again and again.

Blenz Coffee

cafe latte & pastry @ blenz

It's always a treat to try out the coffees and pastries here at Blenz. A coffee franchise from Canada, I absolutely love the coffees here (both hot and cold). And those pastries. Goodness! Those damn good pastries are the real killers. 

display case

double choco muffin & milk mochachilo

The Milk Mochachilo was a kind of dessert drink that grows on you after each sip. What I thought at first would be just an ordinary blended coffee turned out to be a delightful sweet treat. I wholeheartedly adore their Double Choco Muffin. One of the best chocolate muffin I came across thus far. This muffin was infused with chocolate syrup that I actually felt it on each bite, each forkful. Adding up to my enjoyment was hints of caramel syrup within the muffin. I think I heard an angel's sweet sonata as I devoured this chocolate muffin.

cafe latte

carrot & walnut cream cheese cupcake

Their Cafe Latte (P125.00/medium) was equally superb as well. I only just wish they have muscovado or brown sugar sachets available on their stash instead of white sugar when I ordered this. To me, it gives the coffee a more caramel-like feel when I added brown sugar to any lattes.

Needless to say, I was equally enthralled with their Carrot & Walnut Cream Cheese Cupcake (P70.00). I couldn't believe something this good was priced as such. A very moist carrot cake heady with the aroma of cinnamon. With a dollop of cream cheese frosting on top, I couldn't help but closed my eyes in submission to sweet oblivion.

blenz; sm megamall

A follow up visit to Blenz Coffee is in order. Most possibly on their branch at BGC.




G/F, SM Megamall Atrium
EDSA cor Julia Vargas
Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City


910-8880


www.blenz.com


~~~~~~~~~ 


Subspace Coffee 


dark chocolate mint drink


up-close


On this particular visit to Subspace Coffee, I felt peeved to the hilt. This was due to a lot of unsatisfactory, unpromising incidents that happened to me on the course of the day. I was even ranting even as we stepped inside the coffee shop. I would have spewed fire and sulfur at that very moment if I could. Good thing, Subspace own brew of Dark Chocolate Mint drink assuaged me a bit. A chocolate infused coffee drink with hint of the minty taste. A sight to behold are those latte arts shaped like hearts. One sip and I knew these unfortunate incidents that happened to me that day shall pass. 


desserts and pastries


red velvet


banoffee pie


My friends, Gael and Henry ordered doughnuts for me. Thinking that sweets could calm my raging emotions down. And it did, somewhat. I think I only fully recovered from that day's melee right after I slept on it. The doughnuts (both the glazed and the chocolate) were just okay. Simplistic in its appearance as it is in taste. The Red Velvet Cake, on the other hand, was a real stunner. Its a very promising cake that needs a bit tweaking to make it more moist. But a good cake, nevertheless. Our absolute fave, though, would be their Banoffee Pie. Luscious, rich and creamy. Henry and I scoop all of it up to the very last bits. Yummy!




G/F Grand Emerald Tower
F. Ortigas Jr. Road
Pasig City


655-7077


~~~~~~~~~ 

Kopi Roti


set meal @ kopi roti


It was another challenging day for Gael and me. A fruitless, uninspiring and glumly day that I badly needed a boost. I was able to find that at Kopi Roti at The Columns in Makati. And I was able to tag Gael along with me.


kopi


kopi mixed with condensed milk


french toast


soft boiled eggs


I had the set meal of French Toast, Soft-boiled Eggs & Kopi (P125.00). I admit, my first love is still Ya Kun Kaya (I still haven't recovered from the fact that their branch in Escriva Drive has finally closed) since that was the place I first tried the Kaya Toasts and all. But Kopi Roti's food items just warmed my heart. I love the delectable goodness of the French Toast. I ever so gently smothered it with some of the Kaya Jam and butter. Dipped a portion of the toast to the soft boiled eggs dribbled with some soy sauce. I stared as the yellow yolk stained the toast and then dunked it in my mouth. My eyes closed shut as if on cue.


I was scared to try the Kopi because of its midnight dark appearance. So I stirred it so the condensed milk at the bottom of the cup would be mixed with the coffee. It slowly transformed into a caramel brown hue. And surprise, surprise! It even tasted like caramel coffee. I just loved it!


iced kopi


peanut butter toast


It was a really hot day so Gael naturally asked for an iced version of the Kopi. And her toast of choice was the one smothered with peanut butter.


fish ball stall


gael w/ manong 


yummy street food


Before we leave Makati, we had a quick stop-over to a nearby fish ball stall. My choice were Kwek-Kwek (quail eggs in an orange batter and then deep fried) and squid balls. I drizzled it with extra amounts of Manong's sweet and chili sauce. This is serious good stuff, baby! :)


kopi roti; the columns


I might possibly visit Kopi Roti's branch in Katipunan one of these days. Based on what I saw on their website, it has a more spacious area. And might also order the Siewmai to go along with my Kaya Toast set. 



The Columns
Ayala Ave., Makati City

409-9250

No comments:

Post a Comment