Sunday, April 22, 2012

An Italian Espresso Bar

food at segafredo zanetti

The heat of the afternoon sun is starting to get unbearable. Our feet already felt tired because of constant walking. My mind is on a chaotic state, listless and ambling to and fro with no clear direction. I looked at my two other companions, grim-faced and sweltering under the beat of the sun. Not sure if they also share the gale of emotions I felt at that moment. But one thing remained paramount, we need to be fed.

I was with my friends Henry and Gael. We traveled from Ortigas to Greenhills (after a very "fruitless" transaction) to get our lunch fix. I initially wanted for them to try C2 Classic Cuisine by the Cravings Group, because I quite enjoyed the food here (Filipino food is always the best!) and I was well taken care of by the waitstaff here in their Greenhills branch when I last visited which I also wanted my friends to experience. But alas! C2 in Greenhills is currently undergoing renovations. Hopefully, that really is the case because if it proved otherwise, I would really get lonely. Although there are other C2 branches in the metro, I kinda like the vibe this C2 branch in Greenhills gives off. Haven't been back to Greenhills yet but would definitely check it out when I go back and visit.

eye-catching mural

a plastic cup of water & ashtray

I asked my friends instead that we try out Segafredo Zanetti since I've been wanting to try out this cafe for quite sometime now. I just didn't realized how far Segafredo's location is from Greenhills Shopping Mall by foot. Since its high noon when the sun shone the brightest, its an understatement when I say we're all exhausted when we finally reached in front of Segafredo.

mezzo mezzo granita

espresso granita

After spending a couple of minutes inside the coffee shop (or I should say, espresso bar) to let the AC cool us down a bit and also to peruse some of the magazines they have on their stand, we decided to head out so one of my friend could puff a smoke or two. Although, given a chance, I would really like to dine inside to get the feel and be immerse on the coffee shop's ambiance. Normally, I would order hot lattes or cappuccino since I really do adore latte art of any kind, but it would do me more harm than good if I order a hot drink because of the scorching heat. So we all order the Granita or Segafredo's own version of frappuccino. Me and Henry had the Mezzo Mezzo Granita (P195.00), a combination of espresso, chocolate and vanilla ice cream blended in ice. Just about what we need to battle the scorching heat. And its quite yummy, too! While Gael ordered the Espresso Granita (P 195.00), a more ladylike version of Granita with espresso and vanilla ice cream.

carbonara

baked bolognese

arrabiatta

Since we spied pastas on the menu, we naturally have it graced our table. Gael's order of the Carbonara (P185/snack size) was delightfully creamy and cheesy. The Baked Bolognese  (P190.00/snack size) I ordered has that unmistakable tangy, tartness flavor (or should I call piquance) from the stewed tomatoes. The cheese that melts oh-so-languorously down the penne noodles was also a sight to behold. Gael, who have relatives in Italy who usually brought them canned goods and sauces when they come home to visit, said the sauce tangy and salty flavors were very much similar to the sauces brought home by her aunt. Henry's order of the Arrabiatta (P280.00) has the same tartly flavor from the tomatoes albeit lacks the zippiness required for any Arrabiatta dish. That was easily remedied by the sprinkling chili flakes onto the dish.

al formaggi/al tonno pizza

pizza slices on my plate

We initially wanted to order just the Al Formaggi (Four Cheese) for the pizza. However, when our waitstaff advised us we can have two flavors in one pizza, we acquiesced right away and had half of the pizza in Al Formaggi (P220.00) and the other half in Al Tonno or tuna pizza (P180.00). I never had a thing for thin pizza, but this was A-OK. I like sharp, salty flavors of the Al Formaggi pizza. We're just quite disappointed with the Al Tonno since they only just used canned tuna instead of fresh tuna. And the pizza dough has that moldy feel at the edges which texture reminded me so much of otap biscuits, for some weird reason. This only affirmed my affection to thick crust pizzas.

desserts

rustic choco torte

banoffee pie

apple walnut muffin

Of course, I wouldn't allow for us to leave without trying the sweet treats Segafredo Zanetti has to offer. Gael and I both both adored the Rustic Choco Torte (P175.00). This meringue like cake kind of reminded me of the Marjolaine cake offered by Sugarhouse. Crunchy layers of cake, intermingled with  the sweetness from cream and chocolate. With the added crispiness and salty undertones provided by crushed macademia nuts. Henry however find himself affectionate towards the Banoffee Pie (P150.00) which I find just ordinary. Its more like cream and banana with an almost non-existent crust. The Apple Walnut Muffin (P85.00) was sufficiently moist with real chunks of apple tumbled within that when it came in contact with my eager teeth brought forth absolute delight.

gael

sleepy me and henry

Bonding with good friends coupled with good food is always a treat that would let you forget all your troubles and worries. Hooray to good friends and good food!

segafredo zanetti; greenhills

Another good reason for me to cheer up: If I started to crave for their Granita and cake, I can always go to their coffee stall at The Podium in Ortigas. But for a more relax chill, their Greenhills branch would be my quintessential preferred spot. ;)


G/F BDO Building 2
Ortigas Ave cor. Roosevelt Street
Greenhills, San Juan

726-7782

No comments:

Post a Comment