Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Slice Of Good, Healthy Eating

arroz caldo & putanesca

It all started when Karen Anne called me late at night while I was hunched over my netbook inside my room, tapping soundlessly away on my keyboard as I compose the text for The Bread Bag post which I already published on my blog a few days ago. Since its her day off from work the following day and she really need a respite from her call center duties, she asked me if I could join her to go out somewhere. It will be my call on where we would go and where we would eat. I cannot confirm my availability right away since I'm also expecting to meet another friend of mine tomorrow to do some errands. But when I got a word from that friend of mine the morning after that our meet up was cancelled, I immediately informed Karen through Facebook chat that I'm free to join her. I've read a recent post a few days ago on Our Awesome Planet by Anton Diaz that Slice Cafe, owned by Senator Pia Cayetano, is already on soft opening in Bonifacio High Street Central. When I suggested this restaurant to Karen, including the resto's location and the political personality behind it, she immediately agreed without any qualms.

inside Slice Cafe

sample menu

table setting

Slice Cafe was very easy to spot since its just right beside Jamba Juice. The resto total ambiance is very warm and inviting. Even the waitstaff were well-trained and courteous. I must say the couch where Karen and I sat was very comfy, there were even cushioned pillows available that we threw our backs onto. 

moringa drink

hawaiian chicken salad

panini & salad

quatro formaggio panini

For their drinks, our server enthusiastically recommeded the Moringa (P80.00/single serve). It's a flowering plant found in the Himalayas which is said to be packed with nutrients and protein, the juice (or essence) of that said plant was made into this kind of refreshment. In short, its a health drink. But this is one health drink that I would love to drink everyday. A refreshing iced beverage, slight citrusy, thanks to the single lemon slice they added. Its also very sweet, too. Who would have thought that a health drink can be this good?

Karen, however, had a blast munching into the Hawaiian Chicken Salad (P120.00). The chunks of chicken  were sooo tender its amazing. It has the slight sweetness from the pineapple tidbits and crunch with a bit of saltiness from the cashews. All of these components were tossed with a super lite mayo dressing before it was topped on a bed of crisp lettuces. Karen was so taken with this salad that she would snare a piece of the chicken or a pineapple tidbit from the ramekin that the salad was placed in between courses of meals that we so happily devoured. In the end, she scraped all the contents from the ramekin, sans the greens, into her plate. I'm telling you, its one hell of a salad. 


I first read about Slice Cafe from Brian Ong's The Philippines And Beyond. He featured Slice when it started as a dessert cart offering cupcakes, paninis and coffees before it goes full-blast into a restaurant/cafe. He spoke highly of the Quatro Formaggio Panini (P150.00). Karen didn't like it that much since she found the cheese flavor quite strong for her taste. I liked it though. Doughy bread with a surfeit filling of clingy cheeses. I adore cheeses of any kind so this one is all good.


seafood putanesca (snack size)


bbq chicken rice melt


brown rice arroz caldo


Karen abhors anything with putanesca ascribed to it. As soon as she sees it on the menu, she would skip it without loosing a single beat. I clearly remember that started when we ordered this pasta dish at a restaurant in Greenhills (name withheld this time) where she finds the dish absolutely horrible. She said the pasta dish was too malansa (fishy-tasting) that it cloys on the tongue and too salty. With me, I just find the pasta just A-OK. But with Karen, that sealed the deal. She would rather eat green, leafy vegetables (Karen is not too fond of vegetables) than to be serve with another plate of putanesca. You could just imagine her trepidation when I pointed her the Seafood Putanesca on the menu. To play it safe, we just ordered the snack portion of it (for P250.00). As it turned out, this putanesca that Karen hated so much with all her heart actually changed her perception and ended up liking it. It definitely has none of the fishy taste. The salmon and the shrimps were cooked perfectly. The linguine pasta was al dente. And the putanesca sauce was pleasantly creamy. I only just wished they added some spicy kick into the sauce.


The Barbecue Chicken Rice Melt (P390.00) arrived looking much like a baked rice casserole dish. I sooo like the way that they didn't scrimp on the cheese. It was actually covered all over, as you can see. I only just find it a tad too salty for my taste. To which Karen agreed. Later she said if I scoop more rice and less of the cheese and then the chicken it would balance out the saltiness. I nod my head in agreement but my taste buds proved otherwise. They really did gone heavy with the salt on this dish. But no sweat. It was still a very good dish.


Arroz caldo was one of my childhood favorite comfort food. And it still is today. Naturally, I was really head over heels with their Brown Rice Arroz Caldo (P150.00). I like the thickness of this arroz caldo and the lingering flavor of ginger and turmeric. Since I'm not really a big fan of hard boiled eggs, I let Karen scoop the two halves placed on top. In turn, I was able to get a good portion of the arroz caldo. I smiled each time I scoop that thick texture of the arroz caldo into my plate. Yummy!


cupcakes & muffins


red velvet & rocky smores


red velvet (up-close)


We wouldn't leave Slice Cafe without at least having a slice of any of their desserts. Karen chose the Rocky Smores (P60.00) while I had the Red Velvet (P80.00). The Rocky Smores is one smoldering moist chocolate cupcake. Although, Karen said she detected banana flavor on the cake. I didn't detect any so I hinted it must be the some type of vanilla essence that she mistook as banana. However, we both have mutual admiration with the Red Velvet cupcake (P80.00). For us, Sonja still does the best cupcakes around, especially the red velvet. But as Karen has said as she forked another piece of the cake into her mouth: "May laban ito!" I gave her an affirmative nod.


Karen Anne


Slice Cafe @ Bonifacio High Street Central


If healthy eating is as good as this, I wouldn't mind taking another Slice. :)




G/F, West Superblock
Bonifacio High Street Central
30th cor 7th Street
Taguig City


565-1998


Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment