Sunday, April 15, 2012

One Chic Coffee Kiosk

mochacchino & blueberry cake

To be honest, when I first saw Akiba Cafe in SM Megamall, it didn't drew that much attention from me. Maybe because I find it too open for me to chill and enjoy my coffee. However, when I saw this cafe featured on an article in Meg magazine, it naturally heightened my interest to check what this coffee shop (or kiosk) has to offer.


akiba cafe's kiosk

iced cold drinks & desserts

macademia yogurt chiru

chai trifle tea

I clearly remember my first visit to Akiba Cafe was during the recently concluded Mega Food Sale. There were so many food choices and restaurants to dine and get avail of the discounts. But I'm here for one and only just one reason. And that is to try Akiba Cafe. So, right after my quick lunch fix at Spam Jam (another food kiosk right beside Akiba) and looking (more like snooping) around for just a bit, I went straight to this fancy, Japanese-inspired coffee kiosk.

I ordered two tall cold dessert drinks and two cake desserts. Since Akiba Cafe is quite open, I naturally drew attention to myself, or to be more exact, to my orders. Maybe they're just weirded out because my orders are good enough for two. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid which is clearly the first sign of an acute obsessive-compulsive disorder. Or maybe they just find my skin so radiant looking, a product of constant use of Ponds facial scrub he-he! Now, I could clearly hear the Red Queen's voice in my head shouting at the top of her lungs, "Off with his head!" :)

The Macademia Yogurt Chiru was indeed a rich, creamy drink. I just find the sour tang of the yogurt a little bit off to my liking. The drink was sufficiently sweet and has a fleeting salty flavor from the macademia, however it was overpowered by the sour flavor of the yogurt. Maybe it's just not my kind of drink. On the other hand, I do love the Chai Trifle Tea. I was hoping I would get another straw for the trifle tea drink however the waitstaff informed me as she sets all my orders down to my table that they encourage to drink the trifle tea from the glass itself. Personally, I would rather drink this drink with straw so I could get equal parts of cream and tea when sipping it. However, this doesn't negate my overflowing love with this drink. Its a creamy, sweet. cold comfort tea drink that would be a perfect heat quencher this summer season.

dessert duo

green tea cheesecake

tiramisu

I must say the cakes and desserts here in Akiba Cafe were superb, but my absolute fave would be the Green Tea Cheesecake. A very moist and not overly sweet dessert with the lingering taste of green tea. The Tiramisu was also really good. A cake executed with finesse with a circular dot of chocolate on top. A rich, creamy cake with notes of chocolate that could make anyone giddy.

blueberry softcake

osaka mochacchino

I went back to Akiba Cafe just recently. But this visit was really unintentional. I was suppose to go straight home after I watched The Hunger Games. However, a heavy downpour prevented that. So, I seek solace and good warmth from Akiba Cafe. Specifically to their wonderful Osaka Mochacchino. Their own version of cappuccino laced with chocolate. For my sweet craving, the Blueberry Softcake gets the job done. An achingly soft, velvety smooth cake with the sweet-tangy flavor from the blueberry. 


I would definitely go back to Akiba Cafe to try their other signature drinks and desserts. I only just wish they would come up with a branch in the future that has an enclosed space to give privacy to their customers and away from the public's staring, if not probing, eyes.


2/F, SM Megamall Bldg. A
EDSA cor. Julia Vargas Ave.
Mandaluyong City


No comments:

Post a Comment