Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Pinoy Cafe With An Italian Flair For The Masses

food at Cafe Bola

I was only able to catch The Avengers last weekend. No sweat. I really don't want to squeeze myself with the rest of the crowd that flocked the moviehouses when the film opened the previous week. It proved to be a right decision since last Sunday (Saturday night in North America) was the fight between Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Coto. And the entire people in the metro were more tuned in to the boxing match more than anything else. Plus the hype on the movie died down a bit so it there wasn't that much people who watched the film with me in 3D at Gateway Mall. I got the 4PM schedule for the movie and there's still a lot of time to spare before the actual screening. I haven't had lunch yet so I decided to give Cafe Bola, one of the restaurant that circles the Smart Araneta Coliseum, a try.



inside Cafe Bola

collection of pepper shakers

Cafe Bola is a sibling of its more high end, elegant sister restos Cibo and Lusso. It's a restaurant that offers a fusion of Pinoy-Italian food at an affordable price point. You could just imagine my giddiness as I enter Cafe Bola. I've tried Cibo and Lusso in the past and quite enjoyed the food and I'm pretty much sure that would also happen at Cafe Bola.

lemon grass iced tea

spicy bangus mousse

lasagna

The appetizer of Spicy Bangus Mousse w/ Melba Toasts (P150.00) got me hooked the moment I tried it. The haunting spiciness does not overpower the bangus pâté but rather compliments it. I so much enjoyed lathering huge portion of the mousse onto the melba toasts. And biting into the crunchy melba toasts right after was such pure bliss.

The Lasagna (P200.00) offered a very toothsome, al dente lasagna noodles and arich, creamy sauce with a burnished cheese on top that's truly delectable. Don't be fooled by its sheer size because I easily got my fill before I finish it all up.

I was not too crazy, though, with the Lemongrass Iced Tea (P60.00). It has an aftertaste I couldn't quite put words to it. And even if it has ice on it, it didn't feel as cold as one would expect with an iced tea. Maybe this would be one of those drinks that I would need a little getting to use to.

warm flourless chocolate cake with vanilla sauce

A near perfect dessert to cap off this wonderful meal. The Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake In Vanilla Sauce (P110.00) has the texture of an ooey gooey brownie cake surrounded by a pool of sauce that tasted more like condensed milk. Though I adore the gooeyness and the slight crusty exterior of the flourless cake, the inclusion of condensed milk-like sauce into the picture may prove to be too sweet to some. A mixture of an evaporated milk or maybe Nestle cream would be a welcome change to level out the fierce, trumpeting sweetness of the dessert.


I'm quite saddened that the Carabao Milk Panna Cotta was not available when I visited Cafe Bola. Hopefully, it would be available the next time. And I'm so sure there would be a next time.


Smart Araneta Coliseum Arcade
Araneta Center, Cubao, Q. C.

913-2928

No comments:

Post a Comment