Monday, May 21, 2012

Burger Bliss

sandwich deja bleu at Malcolm's Deli

When I tried out the Rancho Ranchero burger of Tropical Hut a few nights ago, it left me on a bemused state. I suddenly realized it has been a while since I had a really good hamburger. I am a self-confessed burger person so I always order this almost to a default when I spy a hamburger or its permutations on the restaurant's menu. Though I'm not saying that the hamburger I tried at Tropical Hut was bad, its just that I'm looking for a hamburger that would totally take my breathe away. A hamburger that is nothing short but exceptional. 


So, earlier this afternoon, I had four burger/sandwich places that tumbled about inside my head. And as if drawing a raffle on a lottery, I chose Malcolm's and set aside the other three burger places for future visits.

inside Malcolm's

counter

The Malcolm's branch I visited is the deli store located in Fairways Tower in BGC, although there are two other Malcolm's branches in Makati that I know of. First is the more high end restaurant located in Salcedo and the other one is in L.P. Leviste street right next to Chocolate Fire. The Malcolm's branch in Fairway is small, with approximately five tables inside, but homey. More tables and chairs are set outside for those people who wanted to dine al fresco. 

iced latte

pumpkin soup

First to arrive was my Iced Latte (P95.00), complete with sugar syrup. I was hoping to try a hot coffee earlier but the ensuing heat and sweat resulted from a long brisk walk that started from Market Market to here made me choose otherwise. See, I do incorporate some sort of exercise when I'm pigging out. He-he! I liked the milky creaminess of the iced latte. And I was also drawn to its frothy top. As my server set it down to my table, some of it spilled lazily down to its coaster bearing the deli's brand. I also like my iced coffee drink super sweet so I dump all the syrup apportioned to me into my tall glass. Yummy!

The Pumpkin Soup (P120.00) satisfied my craving of having anything hot. A thick enough soup with a slight bite at the end from freshly cracked pepper. This soup readied my palate for the star of my meal which is the Malcolm's signature burger.

sandwich deja vu

When my burger order arrived at my table, my initial reaction was this burger was comparatively smaller than the burgers I tried at other hamburger places. But don't let that fool you. The bleu cheese dressing sufficiently hid just how thick the burger patty was. Not only when I cut into the burger and the jus oozed out so helplessly from its holding did I realized that this was one mighty burger. Cooked medium well, this wagyu burger has a very succulent yet unmistakable beefy texture that got me hooked from the get-go. Each bite of the burger lathered with some of the bleu cheese dressing created a mind numbing goodness that was quickly followed by notes of salt which made it even more gratifying. I also liked the inclusion of caramelized onions instead of raw onions. I just hate the taste of raw onions. The caramelized onions gave the burger a playful touch of sweet-salty feel. I'm just a bit disappointed with the buns they used for the burger. I would appreciate it more if they used a burger bun with a more crusty top instead of just sesame seed bun. Just like the one I tried at Lusso for their Foie Gras Burger or even  the buns used at Brothers Burgers. But this little demerit did not sway my complete fondness with this burger which even has a very cute name, Sandwich Deja Bleu (P420.00). I even liked it well enough to number it among my list of hamburger favorites.

The included fries were sufficiently thick and has a slight peppery feel to it that I really like. The side salad has a very tangy balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Although I find the salad too lonesome to looked at. A variation of colors, maybe an inclusion of lollo rosso lettuce would liven it up a bit. And more of those yummy cherry tomatoes, please! :)

Malcolm's Deli @ Fairways Tower

Next time I'll drop by here in the morning to try out their breakfast goodies which I read were absolutely divine. :)


G/F; Fairways Tower
5th Avenue cor McKinley Parkway
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig

556-3188

No comments:

Post a Comment