Monday, May 28, 2012

Desserts And Cocktails, Anyone?

Ice Cream Chip & Chocolate Cocktail pairing

I first learned about Paire Cocktails & Desserts from my friend Mary Kay when she posted a picture of a pristine looking dessert with cocktail drink on the side on her Facebook wall. I was so intrigued by it so I immediately inquired Kay where I can experience that wondrously executed dessert. Kay told me of this new restaurant that serves (or pair) dessert and cocktail. My mind was suddenly filled with incandescent thoughts of beautifully designed desserts with playful design swirls and cocktail concoctions to pair with it of which flavors are limitless.


shabby chic interior of Paire

counter

I'm familiar of Tomas Morato Avenue but not of its sideways and branched out streets. After I carefully checked published maps on Google, keeping in mind which corner of interlocking streets I would find the Cocoon Boutique Hotel where Paire is situated, I finally set out to get my own share of paired dessert and cocktail.

What strike me when I entered Paire is its shabby chic appeal. The country style interiors with high backed chairs and cushioned throw pillows kind of reminded me of the laid back aura I felt when I visited Stacy's at Capitol Greenstreet. And the luminescence of ample natural lights coming from its glass wall made the place even more homey. 


Pandan Iced Tea


Fettuccine Carbonara


Chicken Cajun Sandwich


One of the female waitstaff explained to me how the pairing works. She recommended their bestseller; the Class A, which has the layers of almond slices and cream for the dessert topped with peanut brittle plus a pairing of an Amaretto sour cocktail. But one's bestseller don't usually hits home on me so I decided to try a different pairing and chose the Choco Chip Ice Cream Pairing (P290.00). But more on that later.


I came to Paire way past lunchtime and was famished. So, I have to order something aside from my dessert and cocktail pairing. As much as I would like to love the savory food at Paire, I find the flavors too bland for my taste. The Fettucine Carbonara (P180.00) was creamy enough however the dish was badly in need of salt. Even the included bacon bits on the carbonara was not enough to round up the flavor of the pasta.


Same goes with my Chicken Cajun Sandwich (P180.00). It lacked the spiciness that I'm expecting on a supposed to be cajun food. I appreciate that the chicken meat was tender enough but it lacked the smoky flavor that I'm looking for. The included sides of chips almost overpowered the flavor of the cajun chicken altogether.


I wrinkled my nose that the Pandan Iced Tea (P100.00) wasn't cold enough. Although I see there's a lot of ice floating inside the glass. As if the coldness of the ice didn't permeate enough to the tea to make it irresistibly refreshing. I just barely started with my pasta and sandwich but I almost drank my 'not quite' iced tea empty. I've rambled the entire stretch of Scout Borromeo before coming here so I'm super thirsty. Good thing, the same female waitstaff who got my orders offered me a glass of water before I even asked for it, which I greatly appreciated.


Chocolate Cinnamon Martini


Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich


Finally, the Choco Chip Ice Cream pairing graced my table. I first tried the Chocolate Cinnamon Martini. And I'm hooked right away after one sip. It's like a cool, creamy chocolate drink meant for adults. It was quite strong, too. You could really feel the unmistakable fizz on your tongue. I uber-liked it. I also liked the Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich dessert that came with it. The chocolate chip cookie was quite thick with equal amount of chocolate chips and nuts, however the cookie itself was quite tough that the provided fork was not enough to tear a piece from it. After a few attempts, I forgone the fork and picked up the ice cream cookie sandwich with my bare hands. A more soft, chewy variety of cookies would be a welcome upgrade to this already awesome dessert and cocktail pair.




I may have some reservations of trying out the savory food at Paire but I would abandon my reserve to their desserts and cocktail pairings. 






G/F, Cocoon Boutique Hotel
Scout Tobias cor. Scout Rallos
Quezon City


579-1554


Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment