Thursday, May 24, 2012

FACE OFF: Milk Tea Places To Love

jasmine tea & half & half toast

Milk tea places has been sprouting in the metro left and right. There's just so many I can't even begin where to start. I even got a tip from my friend Kaz about a new milk tea place in Greenhills named Dakasi which I'm planning to visit anytime soon. While I would never ignore the coffee shops that I usually frequented, there's no denying the impact milk teas has made to the general public. And I must confess, a good milk tea drink could inspire a different kind of high on me that a good cup of coffee could also do. While the craze has died down somewhat, it seems that milk teas are here to say. Or that's what I would hope.

Milky Way Tea

milk tea & waffles

You could just imagine my initial shock when I saw that the former place reserved for Ya Kun Kaya in Escriva Drive was now replaced by Milky Way Tea. My heightened curiosity with this milk tea place almost drove me and my friends to try it out when we were in the area for some personal errands. But my friends backed out at the last minute as I'm about to set my foot inside this milk tea place and opted for us to have our lunch fix to a nearby Red Ribbon store. I concurred. But when another opportunity presented itself to try out Milky Way Tea, I grabbed hold of it and didn't let myself be swayed. Even the lack of ample sleep was not enough to back me down on my purpose to finally visit Milky Way Tea.


inside Milky Way Tea

winter melon milk tea


When I ask one of the staff of their bestseller, they easily recommended the Wintermelon Milk Tea. If I'm not mistaken, Gong Cha popularized this variant and other milk tea brands followed suit. I felt my exhaustion slowly ebbing away as I sip the cool milky goodness of this wintermelon drink.




I'm halfway through with my milk tea drink when the Strawberry & Cream Cheese Waffle was served. I was pleasantly surprised with this waffle. Its super crunchy on the outside but oh-so-fluffy and chewy on the inside. Its also very sweet, too. It kind of reminded me of barquillos, only formed into waffles. It's really, really good.




I knew I'm going to order another drink as I start demolishing the second piece of waffle since my wintermelon drink was already sipped dry. For my second drink, I decided to have the Nagoya Vanilla Milk Tea. It has the same components with the wintermelon milk tea, the only difference is the inclusion of vanilla. Taste almost the same. I still enjoyed it well enough, though. I just hope I ordered a more diverse flavor of milk tea that is quite disparate from the wintermelon milk tea.


milk way tea; escriva drive


I would definitely try again Milky Way Tea to try out the other variants. I'm quite curious of their Rock Salt & Creamy Cheese Tea variant. I wonder if it would give Happy Lemon a good competition since it's this variant that made them so popular these days. I was quite happy, too that this milk tea place also offers kaya toast. I wouldn't be missing Ya Kun Kaya that much, after all. Well, that I got to see on my next visit.



G/F, Fern Corporate Center
Escriva Drive, Ortigas Center
Pasig City

695-9932


~~~~~~~~~ 
Saint's Alp Teahouse

2 teas at Saint's Alp

I went to Saint's Alp Teahouse right after my very sumptuous burger and spicy fish pasta dinner at PBCo which is only right next door. Located at the second floor of Regis Center, Saint's Alp must be one of the coziest milk tea place that I've ever been to. Even the girl who took my order at the counter was so well versed and well-trained that I was discombobulated for a moment and was hard pressed on which to order among their wide selections of teas. And for some strange reason, the place reminded me more of a coffeeshop like Starbucks Coffee. But instead of serving coffees, they offer teas.


inside saint's alps

taro milk tea

jasmin green tea

To be quite honest, I wasn't that impressed with the tea selection I ordered on this visit to Saint's Alp. It lacked that certain oomph that I'd experienced with the other milk tea places I visited. The Taro Milk Tea lacked that certain sweet and creaminess that I'm looking for on this kind of drink. Maybe its just me, but I really like my milk tea drink to be sufficiently sweet. Even the Jasmine Green Tea tasted so ordinary to me. I started to ask myself if I'm missing something. Maybe I just made the wrong choices for my teas or I'm still so blown away with the strong flavors at PBCo that I wasn't able to appreciate the seemingly benign flavors of these teas. I'm still not giving up hope, though. I'm still going to check back Saint's Alp and maybe I would finally find the tea that would hit my desired spot.


half & half toast


What I appreciated on this visit to Saint's Alp, though, is this toast called Half & Half. I chose this so I could have two flavors in one toast. In this case I chose the condensed and matcha flavor. The contrasting colors of the two flavors was what made this toast more appealing. 


Saint's Alp; Regis Center


I truly enjoyed eating it that I wish I ordered another toast albeit with a different flavor. But I'm so full at this point that to order another toast would be too much of an indulgence. I patted myself on the back and told myself there would always be a next time. :)






2/F Regis Center
327 Katipunan Ave
Quezon City


990-2194


Facebook Page


~~~~~~~~~ 
Gong Cha


milk teas at Gong Cha


I've been hearing and reading posts from my friends statuses on Facebook on how they enjoyed the milk teas here in Gong Cha. Especially the Wintermelon Tea variant. Naturally, my curiosity with this milk tea place was heightened by just reading the complete adoration that my friends have with this specific milk tea brand. I've been seeing the small stall of Gong Cha at SM Megamall's The Atrium whenever I pass by there but I would prefer to enjoy my milk tea in an enclosed space, so I set out a plan to finally try Gong Cha in their Araneta Center branch. Though I recently saw on Gong Cha's Official Facebook page that they've already improved their SM Megamall branch and it now has ample seating and an enclosed structure for those people like me who would like to enjoy their milk teas in a more private setting.


inside Gong Cha, Araneta Center


Milk Wintermelon Tea


True enough, I did ordered their bestseller drink, the Milk Wintermelon Tea. Now, I have a better understanding why most people are so addicted with this drink. A rich, creamy tea drink with the right amount of sweetness that could make anyone's heart giddy. I love this milk tea  drink from the get go.


Ice Cream Milk Tea


I thought the Milk Wintermelon Tea was already one fabulous drink. But, lo and behold, there's another milk tea drink at Gong Cha that I've discovered that's in close competition with the Milk Wintermelon Tea. The Ice Cream Milk Tea may probably be my favorite milk tea drink of the moment. A shamelessly rich drink, it's more like a milk tea float with an inclusion of a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. I'm totally solved with this drink and been dreaming about it  ever since. Especially when the day is hot and stuffy. I'm officially addicted with this drink. A word of caution, though. If you'll order the coconut jelly as add on, asked to put it in moderation since it would end up absorbing most of the milk tea. Or better yet, ask for an alternate add on for your drink. :)


Gong Cha;  Araneta Center


Now I know where to go if I'm craving for the most creamiest and sweetest milk tea in town.




0066 Shopwise Arcade
Cubao, Quezon City


376-0039


gongcha.ph                                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment