Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Shabby Chic Bakeshop That Offers Gourmet Desserts & More

cake at Nic's

I currently have a monster headache. And this is due to the fact that I've walked the long stretch of Wilson Street from Greenhills Shopping Center and then took another long detour along A. Mabini Street under the glaring sun. After that I got slightly soaked by a sudden downpour earlier (yesterday afternoon [July 19], Manila time) when I made a quick stop in Big R Cainta en route to Robinsons East to buy some bargain books to a Booksale branch there. But I'm not complaining---not at all. Not after I savored the delectable goodies and yummy sweets here in Nic's Gourmet Desserts.


Nic's interior and me with the most fussy hair ever

I almost cannot contain my giddiness when I finally saw the gift wrapped themed facade of Nic's Gourmet Dessert. I was informed by my friend, Kaz, that she frequented this dessert place before and always ordered their cupcakes. But Nic's doesn't offer any savory dishes back then so she was surprised to learn when I told her through Facebook that I'm going to have a full meal here. I observed after I settled on my preferred seat and waited for my orders that the waitstaff do encourage people to stay and dine in. Possibly to try out the savory meals they offer. But ordering pastries and cakes for take-out is still most welcome. It still operates as a bakeshop, after all.

Tuscan tomato soup

baked mozzarella macaroni

The first thing that graced my table was the Tuscan Tomato Soup (P145.00). Although not as thick as I would like my tomato soup to be, the flavor of the soup was quite astonishing. There was even a slight kick of spice towards the end that I really savor. 

The Baked Mozzarella Macaroni (P275.00) was very meaty. There's a hint of sweetness to it which I really didn't mind at all. Although I do know some people who abhors sweet flavors on pasta dishes, especially the one with pomodoro or tomato based sauces. What I did enjoy more was the virgin olive oil dip spiked with some salt, herbs and spices. The addition of chili flakes on this dip added a flurry of heat thus it amped up its delectable factor. I ended up finishing the bread slices and the olive oil dip first before the pasta dish. 

cheese ensaimada French toast w/ hot choco

M&M fudge frappe

The Cheddar Ensaimada French Toast w/ Hot Chocolate (P145.00) was served while I'm busy finishing up the soup and just barely started with the baked mac. I intended to eat this last after I'm done with all of the savory dishes as a dessert so I wasn't able to enjoy the ensaimada at its most optimum (read: it's already lukewarm instead of piping hot when I tried it). But I still appreciate the way the cheese made the ensaimada crusty. The sharp cheddar flavor was there and its not too sweet. 

I do like the M&M Fudged Frappe (P175.00). I came from a very exhaustive long walk under the sun so I naturally gravitate toward iced cold dessert drinks and this one caught my eye right away on the menu. It's a very sleek chocolate dessert drink, sweetness was just right and loaded with whipped cream. The addition of colorful M&M candies on top added a nice touch to this dessert drink.

The only let down to this fine meal was the hot chocolate that came with the french toast ensaimada. It's too watered down I barely touched it after a sip or two.


A sidebar: After confirming my orders, my server asked me if I'm with someone. When I told her I came here just by myself, she chuckled. Did I really ordered that much food for just one person?

chocolate tower

dulce de leche

I wasn't really thinking of ordering any desserts anymore but when I saw a couple of people gazing at the chillers and ordering some for take-out. I couldn't help but look as well. It was indeed a sight to behold. I could have ordered the sans rival desserts but those might prove to be too heavy for me, considering the amount of food I already consumed, so I opted for two cakes.


The Chocolate Tower Cake (P125.00) was really moist and with a gooey choco ganache. But surprisingly, this cake is very light and I didn't feel bloated in any way which normally the case whenever I'm on the part of polishing a dessert after a meal. On the other hand, the Dulce De Leche Cake (P95.00) very much reminded me of Estrel's very own caramel cakes. Also very light and not that sweet. I guess this cake would be perfect to partner with a hot cup of tea or cafe latte which I'm planning to do the next time I visit.




With a dessert place this pretty, I wouldn't mind the long travel I would have to endure to try once again those yummy savory meals and wonderful cakes.



172 A. Mabini St.
Brgy. Addition Hills
San Juan, Mandaluyong

715-5831/716-0321


No comments:

Post a Comment