Friday, July 6, 2012

Custard + Macaroons = Custaroons

custaroons

I've been eyeing to taste these babies for quite sometime now. Salivating over it for the longest time. Not until today till I finally had my hands on these custard cake masquerading as a macaroon. Or is it the other way around? Whichever it maybe, one thing is for sure: my hands were quite shaking as I unwrap the oh-so-chic packaging of these lovely macaroons and almost quivering with delight as I gaze upon the shiny, sugary top illuminated by our kitchen's florescent light.


custaroons' packaging

owner Gigi Gaerlan's inscription on the lid

The packaging of the custaroons is a beauty in itself. The pastel blue color of the box with floral accent was really eye-catching. It even has owner's Gigi Gaerlan's personal message included on the box lid. Loved the personalized effect of the packaging. My Aunt Auring even thought I'm carrying a cake roll inside this box. Her eyes almost pop out of her face when she learned it was only macaroons inside the box. I promptly tell her that these are not just macaroons, they're custaroons. She just frowned at me but her right hand snaked out one of the custaroons from the box, eyed the glistening custard top and grabbed a bite. Soon, I saw contentment filled her face. 

delicious!

The golden shiny top beckoned to me. As I bite into it, I felt the gritty texture of the coconut followed by the sweet, cool and creamy feel of the custard. I also love the caramel like sweetness of the custard/flan. I know my doctor forbade me to eat anything salty and fatty foods. Piece a cake! But when he mentioned I should avoid sweets for now to avoid my throat from further irritation (I currently have severe coughs and colds), suddenly my ears went deaf. Ignoring that last sentence and paid no heed to it at all. Desserts and everything sweets is my Achilles' heel. Take away all the savory, porky foods from me but not my sweet treats. 

So right after a rather mediocre lunch at DW Cafe, even after consuming their flourless chocolate cake, I still felt the need to have a sweet dessert that would totally take my breath away. So I took no haste and went straight to relatively new The Custaroonery shop within the compound of St. Pio Chapel in Libis and grabbed myself a box of these sugary sweet babies. Although, I was also hoping to get a hold of some of their cupcakes but its only the custaroons that I spied and some custaroon poppers dusted with chocolate powder.

This is by far one of the best, if not the best, macaroons I've tasted. It's custard goodness at its best. I wouldn't mind buying some more of these golden custaroon beauties.

THE CUSTAROONERY

St. Pio Chapel's parking lot
Bagumbayan, Libis, Q.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment