Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Mother Of All Fast Food, Still Alive & Kicking

breakfast meal

Although, Tropical Hut precedes Jollibee, McDonald's and KFC in the fast food scene here in the Philippines, I only had measly recollection of eating here when I was a kid. When we moved to our new office somewhere in the Cainta-Marikina boundaries, I saw an opportunity to somewhat relieve my childhood memory of Manila's landmark fastfood chain.

Hawaiian Glee

Rancho Ranchero

Quick Fried Beef

Chicken Sopas

Halo-Halo

So far, I tried two hamburgers on my visit to Tropical Hut: The Rancho Ranchero and Hawaiian Glee. Normally, I would cringe on hamburgers that's on the sweet side but I find the Hawaiian Glee just alright. This burger reminded me, yet again, how much I missed Jollibee's Amazing Aloha. The Rancho Ranchero has exactly the same bun, burger and veggies with the Hawaiian Glee. The only difference was the inclusion of the sunny side up egg. Between the two burgers, I'm inclined to like the Hawaiian Glee more.

On times that I'm with my friend Gael to grab a bite at Tropical Hut, she never ordered these burgers so much as gave them even a quick glance at its blaring photos on the wall menu. She's more of a rice person than a burger lover so she had the Quick Fried Beef w/ Rice and the Chicken Sopas to go along with it.

The Halo-Halo, though it's very simple and straighforward with its appearance, satisfied my craving for a cool, creamy dessert. Even Gael, who's not as devout to dessert as I am (insert gasps here) liked the halo-halo as well.

Chicken Nuggets

Macaroni Salad

The Crispee Chicken Nuggets was not comparable to supermarket bought chicken nuggets but its affordable price more than makes up for it. Dipping it to the included barbecue sauce with a very tangy flavor made it taste better. Gael just love their Macaroni Salad but I don't share her enthusiasm over it. I find it too sweet for my taste. I'm not really fond of macaroni salad that has more condensed milk to it than mayo. But their soft serve hot fudge sundae would be something that I would never get tire of ordering. It's super creamy. Way better than its competitors.

spaghetti w/ 1 pc. chicken

Spring Chicken

The Spaghetti with One Piece Chicken satisfied me in much the same way as other fast food chains that offers the same set of value meal. I never really mind sweet style spaghetti. As long as I don't eat it as often. The Chicken was a little dry, though. But thanks for the side gravy, I didn't mind it that much.

The Spring Chicken was better and tastier. I do know Max's makes one mean spring chicken. But with Tropical Hut's price range, this one would suffice.

Tuna Green Salad

Adding dressing

egg omelette

When I tasted the Tuna Green Salad, a certain brand of canned tuna came to mind. I only just wish that they've used the spicy variant on this tuna salad. I find the salad to benign and too simple that at least they could have played around with the tuna a bit. I would appreciate it more if they used tuna in chunks. The Spanish-style variant, that is, so it won't get overpowered by the amount of salad dressing it came with it. My friend Gael's order of egg omelette looked so papery thin. It so unassuming that I had an inkling I could whipped this up, too, at the comfort of my own home. Given my limited skills to cooking and frying.

breakfast set

too watered down hot chocolate

clubhouse

clubhouse (1)

The Breakfast Set was really filling. The eggs were cooked just the way I liked it. Runny but not too raw. But Gael would wrinkle her nose to it and would ask for the eggs to cooked to kingdom come till the yolks are almost has the same quality as hard boiled ones. I find this quite odd since my friend and I has a lot of dissimilarities when it comes to our choices on food and yet we end up eating together most of the time he-he! I only just wish the toast were a little browner with more butter lathered over it. Though, I wasn't able to eat Gael's order of The Clubhouse because I'm way too full already, I liked the layered appearance of it. Gael said this one tasted really good. It tasted the same way the last time she tried it years back. Might order this one next time.


I so much missed A&W's Root Beer Float. Even the starchy quality of their fries and the juiciness of their hamburgers. I wish they would make a comeback real soon in Manila. For the meantime, I make do with Tropical Hut's Root Beer Float. I'm lovin' this drink so much that I would choose this over the myriads of 'floating' around the fast food scene. 


24 Q Plaza Commercial Complex
Imelda Avenue
Cainta, Rizal

755-8000

No comments:

Post a Comment