Saturday, January 26, 2013

Caviar On Pasta & Crispy Tiramisu

2013-01-03-3710
dessets at Cibo

Believe it or not, this visit to Cibo was only my second. My very first visit with a friend of mine I only tried the panini sandwiches and those were the Praga and the Panino Porchetta. So when deciding on which resto I would dine right after the New Year revelry, Cibo was my easiest choice.


2013-01-03-3709
inside Cibo Greenhills

Cibo has a number of branches around the metro. However, I was inclined to dine on those branches with an enclosed area. I'm fairly uncomfortable dining on those stall-like restaurants placed right smack in the middle of boutiques and ready-to-wear stores. Right after one unpleasant experience at an Auntie Anne's stall of being gawked at by passersby every time I bite down on my curly-cued pretzels. I declared no more dining at open spaced food places unless I really prepped up myself for it. It's akin to invading your most private indulgence.

I like the no-frills concept of this Cibo branch that I went to at The Promenade in Greenhills. It's very utilitarian in fashion without the snobbish air that one might feel with a more upscale resto. I'm almost tempted to order one of their Pizza Ovale, but I'm only dining alone that night and I might get accused of being a lover of too much excess by one of the roaming waiters. 

2013-01-03-3700
crema di zucca

2013-01-03-3702
frullato di frutta pomplemo

I started my meal with their Crema Di Zucca with Panchetta. Their version of creamy squach soup with a slab of bacon. As soon as the waiter plopped down the zuppa on my table, he then ceremoniously whipped out his pepper mill and asked me if I care to have some pepper on my soup. A rather schmaltzy approach since I do have a small canister of pepper on my table within easy reach if I wanted to add some more pepper to my zuppa. Nonetheless, I like the thick and creamy consistency of the soup. A perfect match to the breezy cold weather that night.

The Frullato Di Frutta Pompelmo (Pomelo Fruitshake) has that combination of sweet and slightly sour tang that I quite like. I just avoid sucking the straw too much hence I want to suffer from a severe brain freeze.

2013-01-03-3708
spaghettini alla russa

Though I decided to eat lightly that night, when I saw the Ossobuco Gremolata (braised beef shank with rice pilaf) on the menu I immediately asked for it. However, I was promptly told by the server that another customer already beat me for the last order of the said dish. Tough luck! Guess it's serendipity way of telling me that I should stick on eating healthy this year. After another quick browse on the menu, I zeroed in on the Spaghettini Alla Russa. The main draw to this pasta dish was the presence of lumpfish caviar although the portion appropriated to the dish was only very sparse, the resolute exquisiteness of its flavor was undeniable. The salmon divine flavor blended so well with the cream sauce. I easily polished this dish and was actually glad no one was with me to share it with.

2013-01-03-3712
tiramisu croccante

2013-01-03-3711
mango panna cotta

2013-01-03-3699
caffe americano

When my orders for desserts were handed down to me, I was quite perplexed to see that in addition to the fork, a little knife was also in attendance. When I tried to slice the Tiramisu Croccante with the fork and it didn't yield easily, it dawned on me that this where the knife plays in. This tiramisu is the crispy variety. And quite cool, too. The plate where it sits is icy when I barely touched it with my hands. It's one of those dessert where the word 'ethereal' comes into mind.

I also liked the custardy consistency of the Mango Panna Cotta. Thinly diced mango were lined exquisitely on top of the small ramekin. I was half-expecting the fruit to be a bit sour but thankfully it's not. Definetely way better than the panna cotta dessert being offered at this certain pizza bistro.

And what better way to polish this desserts than a good cup of freshly brewed coffee. Their searing cup of Caffe Americano just hit the right spot. Still learning to drink my coffee black but for now, adding a portion of milk to it just make it so much better.

1

Phase 1, Promenade Building
Greenhills Shopping Center
San Juan

727.2426
753.8714
www.cibo.ph


No comments:

Post a Comment