Friday, December 2, 2011

Yabu Means Labyu (Yabu: The House Of Katsu)

table setting & shot glass sake

I first heard (or read) about Yabu: The House Of Katsu, while perusing Lori Baltazar's Dessert Comes First Facebook fanpage. She posted a picture of the Rosu (porkloin) set she ordered and she further recommended to try the Kurobota set and the Chicken Curry. It was posted a day or two before the grand opening of Yabu at The Atrium in SM Megamall last November 11 this year. I love katsu, so I set about plans (more like a scheme) to dine there in the next coming days.

The plan culminated when my friend Pamsy sent out invitation to watch the first installment of The Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn to our common set of friends and she asked me if I could recommend where we could go eat right after we watch the movie. I immediately suggested Yabu to her. I even posted my suggestion to try out this place on our Facebook group. Pamsy was reluctant at first to try out Yabu because she always associate Japanese food with raw stuff. I'm just so glad she acquiesce to my suggestion and later she found out she need not to worry since majority if not all of the main entrees in Yabu are katsu, meaning its all cooked. 

cool  manga walls

We were all amazed by the restaurant's interior. One wall boasts of a very nice manga comic strip chronicling the search for the best katsu dish while the wall on the other side, where we seated, have a nice, well lighted wooden panel.

menu
We perused the menu, and with the help of our very friendly server Maku, making up our minds on what we like to have became a breeze.

sesame seeds in a bowl

grinding the seeds

pouring the katsu sauce

grounded sesame seeds with the katsu sauce


While waiting for our orders, we did the whole rigmarole of grinding the sesame seeds on the provided bowls and putting the katsu sauce over it, I guess its a quote-unquote "tradition" here in Yabu to do that, especially if you're a first-timer. Furthermore, I also seasoned my own bowl of onion powder and paprika for added flavor. The fragrant smell of the grounded sesame seeds prepped us up for the wonderful food to come.


As soon as our orders came, we were all excited to try out our chosen katsu dish.


hire


rosu katsudon


chicken katsudon


kurobota set


kurobota set (up close)


Henry ordered the Hire (Pork Tenderloin) Set (P365.00) while Apol got the Rosu (Porkloin) Katsudon (P265.00) and Pamsy decided to have the Chicken Katsudon (P260.00). Our server Maku recommended the Premium Tonkatsu Set, with a promise that the meat would literally melt in your mouth since they're using Kurobota pork. So, I obliged to his suggestion and decided to have the Kurobota Pork Set (P515.00). I would have to agree, the meat was delectable and soft. With every bite, I was greeted with the crunchy exterior followed by the yielding softness of the pork. The included shredded cabbage offers a good balance to this sinful pork dish. Drizzle it with either sesame dressing or vinaigrette and it can be meal on its own.


hot tea


four season


Complimentary hot tea were also given and I also ordered a Four Seasons drink, and when the Del Monte can was handed down to me along with a glass full of ice, I just smiled to myself and knew from the back of my mind even before the drink came that this would be something out of a can.


hazelnut mousse desire cake


Incidentally, it was also Henry's birthday that day and Pamsy connived us to throw a little surprise to him with this Hazelnut Mousse Desire Cake from Goldilocks. Hmmm... I haven't tried this one yet. Might troop to Goldilocks one of these days.


birthday boy, henry (photo courtesy of pamsy)


make a wish


selecta ice cream. yey!


And in lieu of Henry's birthday, even if Yabu do not have desserts on their menu, they provided each of us chocolate ice cream from Selecta. Maku shared to us that the restaurant was owned by the people from RFM. Hope they concoct a green tea ice cream dessert in the future specifically for this restaurant *wink*.


On another occasion (When I came back here, it was even less than a week, a rare feat on my case), I came back to Yabu to try out the other items on their menu. As usual the place was packed of katsu loving people.


katsu loving peeps


sauces and condiments


As expected, I was mesmerized by most of the items I ordered.


Sake By The Carafe: Shochikubai Fushimi (P300.00)


sake by the carafe




shot glass


I always wondered what sake taste like. So, I muster the courage today and ordered the Sake By The Carafe. I usually steer away from any beverages that has alcoholic content in it. However, I really fancied the nice bottle that came with the sake. The bottle also has a huge hole in the middle where chunks of ice were put in. Coolness! With the alcohol content of this Japanese rice wine, I do find it tolerable. And before I even knew it, I already consumed a considerable amount of the rice wine which also meant me feeling light headed. 


Hiyayakko Tofu & Edamame (P175.00)


hiyayakko tofu & edamame


up close


I decided to have an appetizer while waiting for the main entree. I didn't quite enjoyed this appetizer set, though. Maybe if the edamame was blanched some more and the string type thread on the side of the bean was removed, it would have been so much better. The cold silken tofu with the ponzu sauce and bonito flakes was just okay, however I could only warrant myself a spoonful or two and nothing more than that. I'm thinking of getting the Appetizer number two on my next visit, which comprised of the wakame (seaweed salad) and potato salad. I guess this other appetizer set would fare better.


Chicken Katsu Curry (P290.00)


chicken katsu curry


absolutely delicioso. :)


I asked for the katsu curry spiciness to be mild. Wrong move on my part, I should had it as spicy as it can be. Since mild equates to nary any spice at all. However, that doesn't stop me from enjoying this dish. Look at the shiny gleam of the curry gravy, it beckons you to swipe up the side of the plate with your forefinger. Definitely, this is one umami exploding dish.


No wonder, after barely a month of its opening, Yabu: The House Of Katsu already had a cult following. A testament that outstanding food has its way of commanding audience through word of mouth. Frankly, how can you keep your mouth shut if a food tasted as good as the katsu dishes served here?


from left to right: joey, pamsy, apol,me & henry (photo courtesy of pamsy)


Yes. We are all happy campers after we ate the ooh soo yummy katsu dishes.


yabu: the house of katsu (sm megamall)


A return trip is in order definitely. Thanks again to the ever jolly Maku. :)






2/F The Atrium, SM Megamall
1552 Manila, Philippines


5763900


Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment