Sunday, March 25, 2012

FACE OFF: The Big '3'

drink and desserts @ starbucks coffee

Isn't it nice to try out something different? Whether that would be a new hobby, a new career path, trying out a novel by an author that you've never read before, or a new food recipe that you would like to share to your family. It incite that certain excitement to a rather mundane, monotonous lifestyle. An oil that lubricates the rusty part to one's daily cycle. In that note, I recently visited the bigwigs in the coffeeshop scene in the metro, which I would like to call 'The Big 3', namely Starbucks Coffee, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Seattle's Best Coffee. I tried my very best not to order the usual frappes or ice blended drinks, with the exception if the day was terribly hot and scorching that I have to order something cold (but I steered clear from the usual flavor/variant of the cold drinks that everyone seemed to order, I hope). 


~~~~~~~~~ 
The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

(counter-clockwise) triple decker cheesecake, white chocolate dream & red velvet hot cocoa

After a very tiring day, Gael and I retreated to the ultimately posh structure of CBTL in F. Ortigas Jr. Road (formerly Emerald Ave.) to unwind. The night air was quite chilly and windy that we didn't hesitate to order hot drinks and a dessert to go with it. I was quite surprised that I was given an electronic buzzer that would light up as soon as your order is ready for pick-up. I previously thought only Chatime in Pioneer has this buzzer gadgets. 


I offered Gael to try the Red Velvet Hot Cocoa since I've already tried it and really fallen in love with that drink. Gael gave a quick nod of affirmation when I ask her how she like the drink. I was equally captured and enraptured by my hot drink of choice, the White Chocolate Dream. Creamy chocolate goodness with a lingering note of coffee at the end. 


triple decker cheesecake & CBTL's hot chocolate coffee drink


Don't be fooled by how bad the picture look. That is why I really hate poor lighting and flash when taking pictures because it always doesn't come out right. This Triple Decker Cheesecake is a triple layer of Oreo, coffee and Chicago cheesecake on an almond cookie crust base. This was one creamy cheesecake I was so impressed with that I liked this one better than the Starbucks' own version.


guiltless chocolate delight & the ultimate ice blended drink


On one occasion that I was in CBTL Gateway Mall, again with Gael, the entire day was unbelievably hot that the sun rays that beaten down majestically bounced off from the pavement where we walked on our way to the mall. My initial intention of ordering something hot from this coffee shop was defeated by the scorching weather that I had to give in to order something cold. Gael had the Double Chocolate Ice Blended drink while I got The Ultimate Ice Blended drink. And it was the ultimate of all ice blended drink that I've tried so far in CBTL. Its an eye rolling heat quencher.


CBTL recently launched the Pineapple Vanilla Ice Blended and the Pineapple Fru-tea. Intriguing mix that I would really try once I get back to any of the CBTL branches I frequented to.




Branches Visited:
F. Ortigas Jr. Road (former Emerald Ave.)
Gateway Mall


www.coffeebean.com.ph


~~~~~~~~~  

Starbucks Coffee


(counter-clockwise) mint java chip. black sesame green tea & dark mocha


Before, I would always order the same thing at Starbucks. Always the White Mocha Frappuccino. Sometimes I would order their glazed doughnut if I wanted to nibble on something with my frappe. But that's just about it. But things changed. I discovered trying out something new and different on this uber-popular coffee shop can be very much rewarding. Very much like discovering a new food or drink (either hot or cold) to get addicted to.


caramel macchiato


heaven on earth


guilt free indulgence


I'm learning just recently to order hot drinks over cold beverages in coffee shops. I'm beginning to appreciate it more since I'm really looking for that certain caffeine kick (but not too strong) that only hot coffee can offer. The Caramel Macchiato is a frothy drink with espresso and vanilla topped with a latticework of caramel syrup that lend a buttery, sweet flavor and an unmistakable earthy espresso kick.


While the Heaven On Earth dessert cake may inspire awe with its striking appearance, I find the dessert too mousse-y to enjoy it fully. But I did enjoy the other dessert I ordered, the Guilt Free Indulgence. Sure, it can be also be categorized as a layered mousse cake, same as Heaven On Earth, but this one has more texture and dimension. And its so good for a sugar free dessert made of sugar-free chocolate and artificial sweetener, Splenda


doughnuts


chocolate doughnut


top pot's apple fritter


One lazy, humid afternoon, I went back to Starbucks to chill (Veranda branch in Robinsons Galleria) with Gael and Henry this time. They both had the chocolate frappe variety (Mint Java Chip and Dark Mocha, if I'm not mistaken) while I had the Black Sesame Green Tea frappe (check first photo for the Starbucks' post). A contrast in color with its green hue amidst colors of chocolate and brown. 


One of the staff enthusiastically recommended to us the Chocolate Donut as I'm deciding which dessert to order. She proceeded by saying they're using a new-improved dough for it. But to be honest, me and Gael just find it ordinary. Even the chocolate that covered the doughnut was not the glazed type. I do, however, loved the doughnut that I chose, Top Pot's hand-forged doughnut called the Apple Fritter. This cinnamon and apple crumbs infused sugar-glazed wonder of a doughnut was so addicting that we finished it first than the chocolate doughnut variant.


iced  chai tea latte


Another time, I've met with many of my IMPI/MMHRR peeps when I attended Jocel's wedding just recently. And it became a reunion of sorts. So, right after the wedding ceremony and the reception, we all headed to Eastwood City, Libis all the way from Makati to have coffee at Starbucks. While everyone ordered frappes, all topped with a staggering amount of whipped cream it seemed to me, I decided to go the healthier route and ordered the Chai Tea Latte. I would prefer to order it hot but the sweltering heat made me order the iced variant instead. Cool and milky. Good enough to compare with the best milk teas sprouting in the metro. I also stole a stick of Marlboro lights from a friend's pack and lit it up, to the horror of most of those present. Most possibly because they envisioned me, I think, as a goody-too-shoes type of person who would never ever succumb to any health-inhibiting vices. In truth, I just wanted to get a feel if cigarettes and coffee really work together. Now I have a better understanding why a lot of people do love to smoke while having coffee. But, don't worry (in case my Nanay would ever get a chance to read this post), I'm still clean and not bounded by any of the addictive effects of nicotine.


starbucks; veranda


There's still a lot of items at Starbucks Coffee that I would love to try in the future like the Creme Brulee Macchiato, some of their pastries like the Almond Pain Au Chocolat, their salad choices, and the Ultimate Grilled Cheese sandwich. Oh, I can't wait to be back and check the availability of these items!




Branches Visited:


The Veranda, Robinsons Galleria
Eastwood Citywalk, Libis, Q.C.


philippines.starbucks.com
~~~~~~~~~ 

Seattle's Best Coffee

chai tea & banoffee pie

Among the three giant coffee shop franchises in Manila (or the Big '3'), Seattle's Best Coffee would be the coffee shop that I visited the least. A shame, really, since SBC offer really good drinks and pastries. Maybe because SBC its not as ubiquitous as the two aforementioned coffee shops.  


@ sbc; trinoma


cool cups & tumblers


javanilla milkshake & oreo cheesecake


The SBC store in Trinoma is very impressive. Pictures of eye catching slogans would be seen all around while on one wall beautiful-looking mugs and tumblers were showcased. They even have a private room at the far end. The Javanilla Milkshake I've tried was rich, thick and delicious. The Oreo Cheesecake was a real looker with an Oreo cookie on top. Taste delicioso, too!


@ sbc; sm megamall


eye-catching slogan picture


The SBC branch in SM Megamall is smaller but there's ample seats available when I came here. I got slightly wet from the drizzling rain that commenced right before I arrived at the mall. And I sought heat from a hot drink. And naturally ordered a dessert for my sweet craving.






The Hot Chai Tea Latte (P135/regular) provided that much needed heat to rev me up for the next order of business of the day (to watch The Hunger Games, that is *wink*). A sweet, creamy cup that's really soothing. Their Dark Banoffee Pie (P130.00) was impressive. I was blown away by the rich creaminess of the dessert. The graham crust was moist but sturdy enough to hold its cargo of cream and chunks of banana. The chocolate sticks embellishment on top, which I also like to call chocolate 'cigars' lent a nice touch.


I already have something in mind to order when I come back to SBC soon. Something that would involve pancakes, bacon and pasta. Possibly with a Javakula blend to go with it. Oh, boy! :)




Branches Visited:
Trinoma Mall, Quezon City
SM Megamall, Mandaluyong City


www.seattlesbest.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment