Friday, March 9, 2012

Magnum Ice Cream Bar And The Twilight Saga

magnum

Magnum ice cream bars are selling like hotcakes in Manila from the get-go. I first learned about it when food blogger extraordinaire Lori Baltazar posted on her Dessert Comes First's Facebook page a poster advertisement of Magnum ice cream with its three variants: Classic, Almonds and Chocolate Truffle. That post was instantly deluged with comments and likes. Each expressing their utmost excitement with the advent of this much heralded ice cream bar. I, myself, couldn't contain my own excitement that from the moment I went out of the house, I went straight to a convenient store and I bought myself my own Magnum ice cream bar.

almond variant

The Magnum ice cream bar that I first tried was the Almond variant. I was literally taken with this ice cream bar at first bite. I welcomed the creamy taste of Belgian chocolate coating that cracked as I sunk my teeth into the ice cream bar, followed by the crispy crunchiness of the almonds and the coolness of the vanilla ice cream. As I made my second bite, I know instantly that this is not just any ordinary, run-of-the-mill ice cream bar. This is one premium ice cream indulgence for grown ups.

classic variant & my quickly's choco loco super w/ taro ice

classic

When I went out with my friends, I made it a point that before we leave that I would get another dose of Magnum ice cream. This time around, I tried the Classic variant while I let my friends try the Almond variants. I find the Classic variant benign compared to the bigness of flavor and texture of the Almond variant. Nevertheless, I still like the creaminess of its vanilla ice cream and the velvety smooth and crackling thick coating layer of Belgian chocolate. For those who just want their ice cream bar straight up without the frills of nuts, the Magnum Classic would be the ice cream bar for you.

chocolate truffle variant & tropicana orange drink from mini-stop

chocolate truffle

The Chocolate Truffle variant seems to be the hardest one to find. I would almost always find the Classic and Almond variety on most supermarkets and convenient stores that I went to but never the Chocolate Truffle variant. You could just imagine how close I was to scream with excitement inside the Mini-Stop store in Galleria when I chanced upon individual packs of the Magnum Chocolate Truffle. This encounter with the Magnum Chocolate Truffle reminded me so much of the Vanessa Williams song, since I really did saved the best for last. From the moment I opened the package, I smelled the smoky aroma of the Belgian chocolate and I bit into the ice cream bar, I was enthralled. Lavishly rich. Chocolate ice cream in rich Belgian chocolate coating. I felt like I'm in a blissful embrace.

I was informed by a friend that the Magnum ice bars are always out of stock to the convenient stores she frequented which I'm wont to believe. A product this good, with the help of famous endorsers and brand ambassadors namely actress/model/singer Solenn Heussaff and her brother, model/food blogger Erwan; talk show host Raymond Gutierrez; Stylist Liz Uy and socialite/media personality Tessa Prieto-Valdez, it would surely be a commercial hit. Oddly enough, this current craze with Magnum in the Philippines kind of reminded me of the popularity of Stephanie Meyer's The Twilight Saga years back where most, if not all of her books included the series were sold out. I should know, since I also went with the Twilight craze then and went loco. Shuffling from one bookstore to another. *wink*

There you have it. I made my choice. I'm curious; what's your pick among the three variants?


Check out leading supermarkets and your favorite convenient stores for your favorite variant.

No comments:

Post a Comment