Sunday, March 18, 2012

My Love Affair With Reuben & Tryst With Toblerone

reuben sandwich

One rainy evening, I found myself here in Apartment 1B. It would have been perfect if I'm here for a romantic rendezvous. But, no. I'm dining solo tonight. I didn't feel bad, though, because I'm not the only one dining by myself at this cozy restaurant in Salcedo Village.


inside apt 1b

plant & candle

As soon as I tucked away my dripping wet umbrella because of the drizzling rain outside, the gracious waitstaff handed me the menu as if on cue. Good thing the A/C wasn't amped to its full force, otherwise I'll be shivering from cold. The lighted candle on my table provided a shimmer of heat that I needed at that moment.

mango shake

french onion soup

reuben sandwich (1)

half-eaten reuben sandwich

I'm so happy when I saw the French Onion Soup (P240.00) on their menu. This soup is quickly becoming my favorite. Besides, I needed something to warm me up. Apartment 1B's version doesn't disappoint. The clingy gruyere cheese topping was really something to savor. I got so excited when this soup in a cappuccino cup was handed down to my table that I immediately slurped on it, ignoring the server's warning that its hot, scalding my tongue in the process. The Ripe Mango Shake (P150.00) came to the rescue to ease out my hurt tongue. This lapse, however, it did not diminish my enjoyment with the onion soup

Then my order of Reuben Sandwich (P680.00) arrived. It may looked like just your regular sandwich but this one ain't. Its a hot sandwich that's been grilled with generous portion of beef pastrami and sauerkraut pressed between the two rye bread loafs. The beef pastrami was smothered with crushed peppercorns lending a slight spice that flits and flutter on the tongue. The sides of fries are cut large enough to be called logs and quite starchy. Put some...no, make that a lot of salt to elevate its goodness then dip it to the provided thousand island dressings. 


toblerone cheesecake & cafe latte


white toblerone cheesecake


It would be off-kilter if I didn't order dessert here in Apartment 1B so I did tried the much recommended White Toblerone Cheesecake (P220.00). Decorated with berry coulis, don't be fooled by its unassuming appearance since this cheesecake would take you by surprise once you get to taste it. This cheesecake has it all: the velvety flavor of cream cheese, that unmistakable flavor of Toblerone white chocolate and the gritty texture of the graham crust base. Sweet. Slightly tangy. Pure bliss. Perfect to polish this dessert with their own brew of Cafe Latte (P90.00).




It was still raining when I left Apartment 1B. But that didn't matter. I already felt comfort from the sumptuous meal that I've just partaken. I just watched out and skirted away from puddles on my way to the bus station, subconsciously thinking someone's holding the umbrella for me while I do so.




G/F Unit 1B
132 L.P. Leviste cor Sedeno St.
Salcedo Village, Makati City


843-4075


P.S.: They now have a second branch in Rockwell which I'm also planning to visit soon. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment