Sunday, September 23, 2012

Celebrating My Online Diary's 1st Year w/ Friends

Filipino dishes at Wooden Spoon

I'm quite hard pressed where to dine and celebrate my blog's first year. I already have a few food places that tumbled in my mind as possible prospects but Wooden Spoon, a fairly new Filipino restaurant in Katipunan owned by no less than Sandy Daza, was the one that always stood out. Partly because I practically grew up watching his cooking shows so trying out his own food creation firsthand somewhat excites me. I also asked a few friends to join me in this simple celebration. Our original plan to meet around lunch time was moved to an early dinner time due to a mean thunderstorm that shrouded the metro around noontime. The whiplashes of lightnings and roars of thunders were truly scary. It even resulted to flash floods on our village and some surrounding area. In my mind I thought this freaking storm already blew up my plans and almost gave up. But when the floods quickly subsided and saw some glint of sun rays on the horizon, I found hope that our get-together would probably push through. I almost succumbed to celebrate by myself at H.I.D. Burgers but thank heavens the storm stopped as immediately as it came.


inside Wooden Spoon

buzzing with people at dinner time

A little confusion arose on where Wooden Spoon exact spot is. Based on how it was positioned on Google Maps, it was a few blocks away from Regis Center. I usually enjoy long walks whenever I go out. Having walked the Katipunan stretch (both the Miriam/Ateneo side and the Blue Ridge side) a few times already, I wouldn't mind doing it this time. But I do have a companion (Henry) travelling with me so we hired a tricycle going to the Mercury Drug outlet and search for Wooden Spoon from there. Gael and Jaydee came in later after Henry and I already settled on our table prepared for four, perusing the menu and discussing which one to order.

The restaurant space is quite small but has a homey feel to it. A no-frills, Pinoy restaurant with attentive servers. A quick glance on the menu and its description, I already knew this is going to be a scrumptious Pinoy cuisine feast.

refreshing red iced tea

wansoy shrimp balls

We first got to try the Wansoy Shrimp Balls (P145.00) as our perk-me-up appetizer. My fellow diners don't like the wansoy sauce and leaned towards the sweet chili sauce as their dipping choice for the shrimp balls. But I do like the taste of the wansoy sauce, the added minced red  hot chili peppers nicely blend with the mild tangy flavor of the wansoy sauce.

lechon kawali

Bicol express

I'm not really fond of Lechon Kawali (P195.00) because most of the time those I encounter were too dry for me. But this one was surprisingly tender and the fat part was really crispy. The texture very much like my favorite brand of chicharon (pork cracklings). A lechon sauce was provided for dipping but I kinda like the wansoy-chili sauce more to go with it.

The Bicol Express (195.00) that we had here was very much different from the other Bicol Express that I've tried in the past. The color, for instance. It's yellow-orangey compared to the traditional milky white sauce. The spiciness of this version was mellowed down quite a bit and , not surprisingly, I'm yearning for a bit more spice. But the tenderness of the meat sufficed it all.

Stuffed Pechay

Kaldereta

One of my favorite dish that we tried that night is the Stuffed Pechay (P155.00). Rolled pechay leaves carrying a load of tinapa (smoked fish) and ground pork and was then covered in that delectable coconut sauce. Although the spiciness of the sauce proved to be of wanting here (at least on my part), this is an outstanding dish. That's big, since I never really like eating pechay. 

Another favorite dish of mine is the Kaldereta (P235.00). I always love tomato-based viands. Plus points for me was the beef was super tender. I also like that this dish was teeming with lots of diced green and red chili peppers and green olives.

our desserts

Reyna Blanca

Sago Cake

Of course, on my book a meal will never ever be complete without ending it with dessert. Our party of four shared the two delicious desserts that we ordered. Not fond of tapioca balls or sago (I usually ask for the sago to be omitted whenever I buy taho), I was surprised that I kinda like the Sago Cake (P65.00) that we had. Maybe because of the quite addicting plum sugar sauce that covered the sago. And the rice puffs added a nice crunch texture to it.

But what I'm all crazy about was the Reyna Blanca (P65.00). Their own version of maja blanca, I just love the sweet and creamy coconut sauce that dressed the coconut custard. I'm sure this is going to be a repeat order next time. *wink*

Jaydee, Gael, Chubby Me, Henry

Wooden Spoon in Katipunan

Thanks again, Gael, Jaydee and Henry for celebrating my online diary's first year. I'm so sure this wouldn't be the last. For those looking for delicious Filipino food that is easy on the budget, you would really love Wooden Spoon. For sure! ;)


Wooden Spoon logo from their official Facebook page.

329 Katipunan Ave.
Loyola Heights, Quezon City

426-0044

Twitter: @woodenspoonPH



No comments:

Post a Comment