Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Mami That Would Bid The Rainy Blues Away


How wonderful it is to sip a hot, flavorful broth especially if the weather is cold coupled with a light drizzling rain. I do like to eat hot soup during this season. That's why my Nanay will usually stock up packages of instant noodles so we could prepare a quick, hot noodle soup if we crave for it. I especially like those instant Knorr soup where all you have to do is just mix it in with hot water then let it boil and stir for a couple of minutes and voila! You had an instant creamy soup. But if you wanted a soup on a more elevated level, one could find such soup at Ma Chicken Mami House.


counter at Ma


Open sign


at the al fresco area

I first tried Ma with my friend Gael at their Fun Ranch branch in Pasig City. Right after doing some errands within the area. We actually stumbled upon it, really, since we were not aware of the existence of this mami house in this area in Pasig. I know that Ma is owned by the same people who run North Park so that translates to nothing but good food. Gael was surprised to learn about this. She told me there's also a Ma branch in Sta. Lucia but she just dismissed it as one of those run-of-the-mill noodle houses. With this new info, she would not look at it the same way again for sure. *wink*


Binondo mami

We both ordered Ma's specialty, the Binondo Mami. Dubbed as "the way mami should be", it's a noodle soup dish filled with pork humba, pork siomai, a slice of hard boiled egg and mushrooms for that umami flavor, swimming in a rich white broth. It claimed that this mami would bring you back to the flavors of the original mami back in the old days of Chinatown. Now, let me tell you that I tasted this Binondo Mami of Ma right before Gael and I went to Binondo for the so-called real Binondo mami. But when Gael and I both tasted the broth, we instantly looked at each other and uttered a prolong "Mmmm" sounds as if we're being filmed for a commercial ad. It's almost comical when I look back to it.


honey cured pork pao & asado siopao


what's inside the pork cured pao


mais con almond


sexy red iced tea

We also had Siopao. Gael had the Bola-Bola Siopao because she always orders this type of siopao. I decided to try the Honey Cured Pork Pao, another take of Ma to the regular asado siopao which they also serve. Slightly sweeter than the regular asado siopao but not off putting. Drizzled some of the provided sauce placed in squirt bottles and this siopao could transform into one doughy heaven.

I originally wanted the Egg Custard for desserts however it's not available on this visit so we settled for Mais Con Almond. It wasn't sweet enough for my taste so we asked for some syrup to dribble into it. There, much better.

Gael's fiance Jaydee joined us later and also order the same Binondo mami and siopao combo. He did not say a lot but his emptied bowl of mami says it all. *wink*


another serving of Binondo mami


...and honey cured pork paos


yummy, doughy, heavenly fillings

Gael and I enjoyed the mami and siopao at Ma that when we visited their branch in Sta. Lucia Mall, guessed what we had there? Your guess it right! The same Binondo mami and siopao combo. Just can't get enough of it. 


Ma Chicken Mami House in Sta. Lucia Mall


My friend Kaz recommended for me to try their Sweet & Sour Pork which she was quite addicted with. As well as Crispy Piencit Canton w/ Fried Bread.  I'm sure going to try those the next time I visit Ma. :)



Branches visited:

G/F Fun Ranch Complex
Frontrera Verde, E. Rodriguez Ave.
Pasig City

584-6231

Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall
Marcos Highway, Felix Ave.
Cainta, Rizal

994-6142

No comments:

Post a Comment