Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eating Out Around Eastwood

adobo dishes at Adobo Connection

After being a bum for about two months, I'll be back working again for the BPO industry that I can't seem to run away from. I guess it's safe to say that I'll be here (the BPO industry, that is) to stay. But I'm still keeping my hope afloat. However, the past two months didn't come to waste. I've been quite productive during those downtime moments. I was able to catch up on my paperback reading, watched my favorite soaps on TV, did some rudimentary routines and of course, I was able to put quite a number of entries on my online diary and update it as often as I want. It was quite trip and to be quite honest, I'm kinda missing already my 'bum life' he-he! ;)

I'm not going into details which company I'll be working with soon. But it would be in one of those skyscrapers in Eastwood, Libis. I've done constant trips to Eastwood in lieu to my new job so I've been eating quite a lot in that area. So if you'll let me indulge a little, let me share to you some of the food places I've been to and then some.

Jap-Ok

Jap-Ok; Cybermall

It was my friend Gael who brought me here in Jap-Ok, an express kiosk of sort of Japanese food favorites. We went here right after our get-together with our circle of friends at Starbucks Coffee, also in Eastwood, following the nuptial of Jocel, which is also part of our group. Gael is also quite a "cheapskate". She knows where to get good grubs with value for money in mind. The meal we each ordered here were just less than one hundred pesos. 

counter

iced tea drinks (big & small sizes)

chicken teriyaki meal

I was rooting to buy the Royal Milk Tea but was informed it was not available. So I just settled for a glass of ice tea (large). Gael and I both had the Chicken Teriyaki meal with rice. Tasty stuff. I also love the sweet-salty flavor inherent to any teriyaki dish. I'm not fond of beansprouts unless its cooked lumpia-style. But since Gael ate it with much gusto, I also followed suit. 

There's quite a handful on Jap-Ok's menu that I would like to try in the future like their Donburri meals and the curiously named Chicken Yamasita and Lechon Hapon.


3/F Eastwood Cybermall
622-7424
~~~~~~~~~
Dairy Queen

Blizzard and smoothie

Whenever I'm at Dairy Queen, I always order the same thing: a 16 ounces worth of Mud Pie Blizzard. I just can't get enough of it. One of the most delicious soft-serve ice cream around. One spoonful of it and my eyes would just roll up instantly.

Mud Pie Blizzard

I read somewhere online that this wonderful Blizzard variant contains vanilla soft serve ice cream, pieces of Oreo cookies, cocoa fudge and---get this---Columbian liquid coffee concentrate. No wonder I love this Mud Pie Blizzard so much, it has caffeine on it. Might grab another large cup of this delicious soft-serve once I got back to the nearest DQ ice cream shop. ;)


Eastwood Citywalk 1

913-6263
~~~~~~~~~
Chicken Charlie

twice cooked chicken at Chicken Charlie

I'm pretty sure BonChon was the first to introduced the twice cooked chicken here in the Philippines thus setting a kind of trailblazing trend in the fast food chain scene. But I also believe that the next restaurant who offered this kind of chicken after BonChon would be the homegrown Chicken Charlie

inside Chicken Charlie

iced tea

I've always wanted to try Chicken Charlie but the branches that I know of were too far-flung for me to travel. Good thing, Gael told me that Chicken Charlie also have a branch here in Eastwood. So off we go to Citywalk after our so-called errands to get our hands dirty with their twice cooked chicken.

wings

drumstick (toothpick indicates the spicy variant)

a side of French fries

I tried the Combo B (P138.00) that includes two drumstick, rice and iced tea while Gael had the Combo C (P115.00) that has three wings, rice and iced tea. I also ask for a side order of French Fries (P32.00) to nibble with while we're waiting for our orders.

We we're given the option if we wanted to have mix flavors for the chicken (soy garlic and hot sweet sauce). I tried both flavors and naturally, I inclined more towards the spicy variant. With the soy garlic variant, I just dribbled just enough hot sauce onto it until it achieved the spiciness that I desire. I really enjoyed our orders here in Chicken Charlie. The skin was crispy and the meat underneath quite flavorful. I'm going back for this.


Since I'll soon be working in Eastwood, I might try other items on their menu next time I visit. In particular, the Charlie's Bowl, Cheesestick Dynamite and their ice pop dessert called Charlie's Pops.


4/F Eastwood Citywalk


~~~~~~~~~
Magnum Choco-Cappuccino

Magnum Choco-Cappuccino

It's also here in Eastwood (at 711 store in Eastwood Citywalk, to be more specific) that I first got to try the newest Magnum ice cream bar variant called Choco-Cappuccino, since most of the convenient store in my place don't carry yet this newest flavor. 

alluring specks of sugar on the crackly Belgian chocolate coating

Before the arrival of the Magnum Choco-Cappuccino, my favorite has always been the Chocolate Truffle among the three variants. But as soon as I sink my teeth on this glorious chocolate ice cream bar, it easily became my new favorite. Creamy vanilla ice cream with swirls of coffee sauce, it's a perfect match. Not to mention that crackly chocolate coating with specks of sugar gave this much revered chocolate bar a whole new dimension. 



Available at 711 stores and other major convenient stores.
~~~~~~~~~
Serenitea

chicken chop and Emperor Milk Tea

Serenitea was the progenitor of the milk tea craze in the metro a few years back. I also remember liking their Hokkaido Milk Tea quite a lot. But this sudden return to Serenitea was brought about by their new milk tea concoction in the form of the Emperor Milk Tea. When I saw a picture of the said milk tea posted on their official Facebook page, I immediately told myself that I must try this variant the soonest possible time.


pearls on my milk tea

The Emperor Milk Tea (w/ pearls) was indeed light tasting. Light caramel flavor with a subtle note of tea. I only just wish the staff who whip up this milk tea for me added more sugar into the mix. But that's just me. I do love their own version of Chicken Chop. Lean chicken meat that was lightly breaded that gave it a crispy exterior but the meat itself was really soft and juicy. Very strong peppery flavor, too. Great to snack with in between sip of your choice of tea.


Unit 1 G/F Eastwood Cyber & Fashion Mall
~~~~~~~~~
Adobo Connection


This visit to Adobo Connection was more like an accident. I was eyeing to try Goodah! in Eastwood Mall's Food Junction for a quick lunch when my friend Gael (who was with me at the time, as well as Henry) suggested if we look for other food kiosks to dine inside. I felt serendipity took its own course when I saw the kiosk of Adobo Connection farther up the alley. I've always been curious to try this restaurant that integrate adobo in most of their menu items. 


food that we ordered at Adobo Connection

Mama's Traditional Chicken Adobo


Chicken Adobo Sa Gata


Gising-Gising

Henry and I quickly made our respective orders at Adobo Connection while Gael scurry off to another food kiosk to get her own fix of salisbury steak. Henry ordered the old-style adobo dish with the Mama's Traditional Chicken Adobo (P89.00/single serving). I got to try it and I just love the flavor combination of sweet, salty and tanginess of this adobo. I also like the spoonable consistency of the sauce. Quite garlicky, too! It's very much obvious on the above photo where the minced garlic was scattered all over the chicken.The meat, on the other hand, was really soft and tender.

But my absolute favorite was my order of Chicken Adobo Sa Gata (P109.00/single serving). I have never tried an adobo sa gata before but I do love most coconut cream based dishes. And this adobo just killed me after tasting it. I know my Tita might strangle me but I like Adobo Connection's chicken adobo sa gata more than her very own traditional chicken adobo. 

I was kinda worry to try the Gising-Gising (P29.00) that I ordered as a side dish. The sight of too many diced red chili peppers scared me. But the spiciness was somewhat became bearable because of the presence of the coconut cream. But it's one spicy side dish, nonetheless.



2/F Eastwood Mall, Food Junction

467-4723
Facebook
www.adoboconnection.com
~~~~~~~~~
Yoh Froz



One time, I came back to Eastwood for a job offer at four in the afternoon and left at around 7pm. By that time, I'm craving for something cold and sweet to eat. I satisfied my craving at Yoh Froz, tucked inside a department store called Dash


counter

classic fro-yo with almonds and granola


Frozen Yog-hurt Bar

Frozen yogurt or fro-yo gives me satisfaction that is very much different from regular soft-serve ice cream. Maybe the right balance of sweetness and tanginess spelled the difference. I like to be tease once in a while, you know. Some of my friends don't like fro-yo because of its inherent sourness. But I don't mind that. So long as the sourness was not that strong.

Which is the case on the classic fro-yo that I got at Yoh Froz. Quite creamy and sweet with a slight tanginess to it. The added toppings of granola clusters and almond slices gave delicious crunchy texture in between the sweet creaminess of the fro-yo.

I also got to try their Frozen Yog-hurt Bar. I chose the milk chocolate variant. I can't help but compare it with Magnum ice cream bar because of its appearance. But the comparison ends there. This ice cream bar was sufficiently sweet and very chocolatey. With a slight tanginess towards the end that reminds me that I'm still eating fro-yo and not just ice cream.

Since I will be in Eastwood most of the time, I might visit this frozen yogurt store a bit more often. Possibly order their frozen yogurt mochi and waffles on succeeding visits. *wink*



Eastwood Open Park Promenade

No comments:

Post a Comment